At the start of the month we were desperately trying to clean out the pantry and freezer. When I attempted to walk into the pantry, it was literally overflowing with various food items that we have overstocked unnecessarily.
Part of this comes from my need to buy things in season with the idea that we may need them because company might show up or we may go to a function or gathering... and to be completely honest, part of it is because we didn't have an overabundance of food in the cupboards when we were kids. There was always plenty to eat, mind you, but the pantry certainly wasn't exceptional by any stretch of the imagination.
The majority of this months meals will be using items already in the pantry or freezer, with the exception of a few fresh fruits and vegetables. We almost always purchase lettuce, bell peppers, cucumbers, grapefruits and oranges this time of year.
While perusing the contents of the freezer I discovered a bag of "fresh" cranberries that I bought on sale in early December for a whopping 25¢- I'll mash these and make a simple cranberry sauce which will go well with pot pie.
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
From our Windowsill/ Garden: a few fresh herbs in the windowsill- cilantro, basil, parsley, rosemary, scallions
- Fresh Fruit - Bananas, Oranges, Grapefruit
- Eggs-poached, over-easy, hard boiled, scrambled with leftover sauteed veggies & a sprinkle of cheese, etc
- Breakfast Burritoes
- Blueberry Lemon scones
- Homemade Yogurt
- Instant Oatmeal (18 Flavors)
Lunches will consist of leftovers from the previous days dinner or be a choice of tuna salad, egg salad, pb&j, or homemade panini's. Our Panini maker died many moons ago, so we use this fun little hack to make our own.
Monday Feb 6th:
- Dinner: Chicken Parmesan with seasoned rice / Broccoli
Tuesday Feb 7th:
Wednesday Feb 8th:
- Dinner: Beef-n-Bean Burrito's topped with salsa & cheese seasoned Rice on side
Thursday Feb 9th :
- Dinner: Baked Stuffed Whitefish with homemade Newburg sauce, baked potato, side salad
Friday Feb 10th:
Saturday Feb 11th:
Sunday Feb 12th:
- Dinner: Pot Roast with Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Gravy and & biscuits
Monday Feb 13th:
Tuesday Feb 14th:
- Dinner: Grilled Bacon Wrapped Steaks, Roasted Parmesan Garlic Potatoes and Double Chocolate Lava Cakes
Wednesday Feb 15th:
Thursday Feb 16th:
- Dinner: Homemade Deep Dish Pizza - this is an excuse to throw on whatever is hanging out in the fridge- shrimp, ham, pepperoni, onions, peppers, sausage, literally just about anything.
Friday Feb 17th:
- Dinner: American Chop Suey, Garlic Bread, salad
Saturday Feb 18th:
- Dinner: Sesame Chicken, Steamed Jasmine Rice, Steamed Garlic Shredded Green Beans
Sunday Feb 19th:
Monday Feb 20th:
- Dinner: Chicken Fajita Tortillas with homemade refried beans & side salad
Tuesday Feb 21st:
- Dinner: Honey Garlic Shrimp Zucchini Ribbons, over steamed Jasmine Rice
Wednesday Feb 22nd:
- Dinner: Hearty Taco Pasta Dish this one makes a lot of leftovers- great for lunches
Thursday Feb 23rd:
Friday Feb 24th:
- Dinner: Beer Can Chicken, Roasted Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Salad
Saturday Feb 25th:
- Dinner: Spicy Orange Chicken Flatbread; Homebrew Oktoberfest Beer
Sunday Feb 26th:
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available- Fresh Oranges, Bananas, Apples
- Frozen Banana Bite
- Sweet Potato Chips
- Homemade Strawberry Yogurt
- Salted Maple Popcorn, a seasonal favorite
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
FYI: If you're wondering why all the ingredients listed in the recipes aren't necessarily showing in the "purchased groceries" list, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions!