- 1 Head of Cabbage, wash and chopped into 1" pieces
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 c. Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
Steam or boil the cabbage until soft. While it's cooking, crumble and brown the sausage in a skillet. If the sausage is fatty, drain it.
Once the cabbage is done (soft to your liking),plate it, sprinkle lightly with garlic salt, top with a generous scoop of browned sausage and a handful of shredded cheddar cheese. Let the heat of the sausage melt the cheese for a minute before serving.
I recently found an excellent deal on sausage for only .50 per pound. Clearly this it not a normal occurrence. If sausage is expense in your area, you can make your own using a pound of ground turkey (which is available in rolls in the freezer section at Walmart for $1.10 per pound)
1#lb Ground Turkey or Pork
1 tsp Ground Sage
1 Tsp Fennel Seeds
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
1/8 tsp Garlic salt
1/8 tsp oregano
Mix the spices together and then fully incorporate into the meat. It's best if you can let it set several hours before cooking it, but if you're making a quick dinner, you can use it right away.
Now for the Grocery Budget 101 Breakdown:
* 1lb Sausage $.50
* 1 Lg Whole Cabbage 1.19
* 1 c. Cheddar Cheese .75
Total Cost of Meal to Feed 4 People: $2.44 or .61 per person
I realize that that our Breakdown
* 1lb Ground Turkey $1.16 (Aldi's price as of 3-13-11)
* spices/seasonings to make sausage $ .30
* 1 Lg Whole Cabbage 1.19 (purchased locally at food Lion)
* 1 c. Cheddar Cheese .75 (purchase shredded cheese in bulk, divide into smaller pkgs & freeze it till needed)
Total Cost of Meal to Feed 4 People: $3.40 or .85 per person