You don't have to disclose your goal to anyone else, I didn't. I didn't even tell my spouse, I was in control of the grocery budget entirely and for the most part in the meal planning as well and I chose to keep the massive savings a complete secret,
Set a goal, whether it's to save $10 this shopping trip or $20, I promise you.. after a few successful shopping trips you'll be looking for even more ways to trim that budget!
I tend to avoid shopping at stores that use "Loyalty" program
I prefer, instead to shop at stores that don't jack up their prices to begin with, such as Aldi, Lidl or *gasp* yes, even Walmart.
The two major exceptions to that rule would be Food Lion and Kroger as both will allow you to enter your phone number into the keypad rather than carrying a loyalty card. These also happen to be the stores closest to my home and the most convenient to shop at without spending a fortune on gas.
This week we purchased the following: lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, cabbage, kielbasa, apples, bananas, spinach, oranges, carrots, half & half.
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
From our Windowsill/ Garden: a few fresh herbs in the windowsill- cilantro, basil, parsley, rosemary, scallions
Breakfast Options for this week:
- Fresh Fruit -Apples, Bananas, Oranges
- Homemade Yogurt (From last weeks menu)
- Blueberry Muffins
- Eggs-poached, over-easy, hard boiled, scrambled with leftover sauteed veggies & a sprinkle of cheese, etc
- Instant Oatmeal (18 Flavors)
Sunday January 22nd: Playoff Games
- Lunch & Dinner: Game Day Gathering, POT LUCK with friends, everyone brings a dish
Monday January 23rd: Meatless Monday
- Lunch: Scrambled Egg, Cheese & Veggie Burrito
- Dinner: Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
Tuesday January 24th: There's at least 2 cups of leftover diced prime rib from last weeks meal plan and I don't want it to go to waste.
- Lunch: Quinoa Enchilada Burritos
- Dinner: Beef Pot Pie, Salad (Using leftover Faux Prime Rib from Saturday)
Wednesday January 25th:
- Lunch: Dijon Chicken Wraps (using leftover chicken from previous day)
- Dinner: Kielbasa & Cabbage Saute
Thursday January 26th:
Friday January 27th:
Saturday January 28th:
- Lunch: Tuna Pasta Salad
- Dinner: Spinach Tortellini Stew
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available- Fresh Oranges, Bananas, Apples
- Frozen Banana Bites
- Homemade Blueberry or Peach Yogurt
- Blueberry Muffins
- Game Day Football Whoopie Pies
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
FYI: If you're wondering why all the ingredients listed in the recipes aren't necessarily showing in the "purchased groceries" list, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions!
For example: We tend to stock up on baking supplies in November and December, this includes Flour, sugar, powdered sugar, baking soda, baking powder, baking chips (chocolate chips, mint chips, butterscotch chips, etc). This past fall these were marked down to $1 per package and we stocked