Egg Drop Soup- Restaurant Style

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

4 (80%) 32 votes

This simple, inexpensive egg drop soup recipe was inspired by the incessant nagging of teenage son who was craving a taste of his favorite Chinese restaurant. A wonderfully fast recipe that costs less than $3 to prepare for the entire family and tastes like authentic Chinese cuisine.

You Will Need:
* 6 cups chicken broth
* 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
* 2 tablespoons chopped Scallions or finely minced onion
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 2 eggs
* dash White pepper

Pour all but 1/2 c. of cold chicken broth into a large saucepan over medium heat. Add salt, ginger and scallions (or onion) into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil.
In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 c. cold broth and cornstarch until smooth, pour into the boiling broth, stirring constantly, until thickened. about 2 minutes.
In another small bowl, whisk the eggs with a fork. Drizzle egg very slowly through the tines of a fork directly into the bubbling soup, which will create very thin slivers of egg.
The egg will cook instantly.

egg-drop-soup-restaurant-style

Remove from heat add dash white pepper, stir well and serve immediately.

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

About GB101 719 Articles
Filled with an insatiable wanderlust to see the world, I've dedicated most of my life to saving money where I can so I can afford to see and do the things I want. I dug our family out of debt by reducing our grocery expense to less than $300 a month. You can too!

3 Comments

• It was cold and raining here today so I decided to make this…huge hit in our house, the whole pot was gone!

Egg Drop Soup is also great with carrots, peas and bamboo shoots added to it. I don’t like the taste of Peas but in this soup I don’t taste them and it’s great! I always use frozen mixed carrots and peas.

1. We make this several times a month! Some great add ins are frozen wanton (1.00 premodern for 12 at dollartree, can be made for less if making a large batch and freezing) and a splash of soy sauce, celery, bamboo shoots, and mung bean spouts, or to keep it simple, tiny fideo noodles ( found in the Hispanic food section at your grocery, these 58 cents for 7 oz pkg.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.