2012 Week #7 $50 Weekly Menu Plan

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

4 (80%) 32 votes

2012 $50 Weekly Menu Week #7-This week I made the mistake of shopping on a Saturday- in case you weren’t aware, Saturday is the LEAST effective shopping day when it comes to finding great deals, particularly on meats. That doesn’t mean, however, that we didn’t come in under $50!
The majority of our groceries were purchased at Aldi’s this week and include cabbage, peppers, potatoes, spinach, pretzels, fresh broccoli, cucumbers, granny smith apples, sugar & flour. Despite finding great deals at aldi’s I stopped at another of my favorite shopping spots and picked up carrots, romaine lettuce, celery, oatmeal, a dented can of cherry pie filling and store brand Nutella. The grand total for this week is $47.84
This week was a pantry/mix supply restocking week and as such, despite having several bags of flour already, we purchased 2 more. I made up more than 15 various flavors of bread machine mixes, a bunch of chicken, beef and turkey gravy mixes, several dip mixes, some laundry soap and about 25 various seasoning blends.

2012-week-7-50-weekly-menu-plan
Here’s our dirt cheap menu plan for the week . . .

Monday 13th:

Tuesday 14th:

Wednesday 15th:

Thursday 16th:

Friday 17th:

Saturday 18th:

Sunday19th: Lately on Sundays we’ve been eating a late breakfast, around 10 am or so and it carries well over into the afternoon before anyone wants to eat again. This tends to be a day where we munch on various items, deviled eggs, fruit, cut veggies, etc

• Breakfast:Country Breakfast Casserole (Few alterations to the recipe- I make my own sausage using ground turkey & use my own shredded hash browns, rather than buying them).
  • Lunch/Dinner:Open FacedRoast Beef Sandwiches (using leftover roast & Homemade bread!)

Various Snacks:

Drinks included: * Iced Tea (Sweet Tea)
* Coffee
* Lemonade
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea

FYI:
We’re getting over a dozen eggs a day now & as such, we’re a little tired of them. So I scrambled them up, a dozen at a time, tossed in some chopped peppers, onions and various seasonings in each bag, vacuum sealed them and tossed them into the freezer. These will be used later on for quickie Breakfast scrambles, either at home or while camping.

The freezer is still fairly full of chicken that we purchased back in November/Dec- but the traditional February sales cycles tells me to be on the lookout for great deals on steaks, pork ribs, seafood etc. I already found oatmeal about half price (it’s National Hot Breakfast month)!

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

About GB101 719 Articles
Filled with an insatiable wanderlust to see the world, I've dedicated most of my life to saving money where I can so I can afford to see and do the things I want. I dug our family out of debt by reducing our grocery expense to less than $300 a month. You can too!

3 Comments

1. I am just starting to wade into making up things ahead of time. What would you recommend for some basic mixes: spice blends and baking (no bread machine). I do have a heavy duty mixer Bosch mixer with a serious dough blade. The lists on this site are overwhelming and I’m just looking for a few basic starters.

Any thoughts?

• What would you recommend for some basic mixes: spice blends and baking (no bread machine)

I think it entirely depends on your family and what you like to eat. For us it’s various seasoning blends – like the sweet potato baked fries seasoning, or the good seasons italian dressing clone- as we go through several packets a week.

I make up several different types of muffin mixes to throw together for the kids mid-week, or if it’s going to be hot (weatherwise), I’ll opt for baking a bunch of different kinds of muffins, wrapping them individually and putting them in the door of the freezer so the kids can grab them, toss them in the micro for 15 seconds and have a hot muffin on their way out the door to school.

What do you cook during the week? What do you eat the most of? Do you buy snacks or make them? Do you have really limited time, or are you home a lot with ample time?

Maybe you’re home a lot with NO time, like if you have young kids at home. Do you make a lot of taco’s or gravy etc- you just need to figure out what will work for your family.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.