Lemonade Cake

Lemonade Cake
Lemonade Cake

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

4 (80%) 32 votes

lemonade-cake
When life hands you lemons, Make Cake! This moist light cake is a treat on a hot summers day and is lovely for sharing at BBQ’s and potluck gatherings with friends.
lemonade-cake

You’ll Need:

1 Lemon Cake Mix, baked according to directions in a 9×13 pan – (this can be a homemade lemon cake or a store-bought cake)

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. + 1 Tbs. Cornstarch
1 1/2 c. cold water
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
3 Tbs. Butter
2 tsp grated lemon peel (fresh lemon is best, but dried lemon peel will work in a pinch)
1/2 c. + 1 Tbs lemon Juice

1 tub cool whip or 2 c. Fresh Whipped Cream

In a medium size glass bowl, beat the egg yolks lightly, set aside nearby.

In a 2-quart saucepan mix sugar and cornstarch with a whisk. Turn on heat and immediately add cold water, whisking well. Cook over medium heat, whisking gently and constantly until the mixture thickens and begins to boil.

Boil, while stirring, for a full Minute. Remove from heat-

Temper the eggs carefully by immediately stirring at least 1/2 of the hot mixture into the eggs, (while stirring the eggs!) Stir the hot egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining mix, return to heat. Bring to a boil for 1 full minute.

The mixture will be quite thick and bubbly, be careful it doesn’t splatter you! Remove from heat- add butter, lemon peel and lemon juice, whisking gently until fully combined.

lemonade-cake

Let the mixture cool fully. Gently poke holes in the top of the cake with a shish-kebab stick. Pour the Lemon sauce over the tops of the cake, spreading it around evenly. Top with Cool whip or fresh whipped cream

Serve immediately or refrigerate for later. To make it pretty, add a few shavings of fresh lemon the top of the cream.

We generally prefer to use Real Lemon peel/zest in this recipe, it has much better flavor and texture.

lemonade-cake

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

About GB101 719 Articles
Filled with an insatiable wanderlust to see the world, I've dedicated most of my life to saving money where I can so I can afford to see and do the things I want. I dug our family out of debt by reducing our grocery expense to less than $300 a month. You can too!

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.