Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

4 (80%) 32 votes

One of my favorite comfort food dishes is homemade chicken pot pie. Although I prefer to make my own pie crust, in a pinch you can use a store bought rolled crust.
homemade-chicken-pot-pie
Ingredients:

• 1/3 C. Chopped Onion
  • 1/3 C. Flour
  • 1/3 C. Margarine
  • 1 bag peas/carrots blend, frozen (but rinsed to get rid of ice chunks)
  • 1¾ C. Chix Broth
  • 2/3 C. Milk
  • 1 c. cut up cooked chix (or any leftover meat)
  • Pie crust

homemade-chicken-pot-pie
In a medium saucepan Melt butter, add onions- sauté for a minute (here we added 1 T. fresh chopped parsley)

homemade-chicken-pot-pie
Add flour, mix till pasty, add broth and milk.(This is actually called a Roux).

homemade-chicken-pot-pie
Stir constantly until creamy and thick ( cooking over medium heat), Add veggies & chicken. If you use a whisk, the sauce will be smooth and creamy and will NOT be lumpy.

homemade-chicken-pot-pie
Dump into a pie crust.

homemade-chicken-pot-pie
Freeze now for later or Bake 40-50 minutes at 350º

homemade-chicken-pot-pie

Yum! The picture really doesn’t do it justice, mainly because unlike some food blogs that work hard to make the photo look yummy, I simply slapped this puppy onto a plate and snapped a couple shots before tossing the camera aside to shove hot pot pie into my mouth!

We usually serve this with fresh cranberry sauce. Sometimes I have home canned veggies to use, other times I have leftover vegetables from previous meals that I chop. You need about 2 c. of chopped veggies in all, it doesn’t really matter what kind you use.

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

About GB101 719 Articles
Filled with an insatiable wanderlust to see the world, I've dedicated most of my life to saving money where I can so I can afford to see and do the things I want. I dug our family out of debt by reducing our grocery expense to less than $300 a month. You can too!

4 Comments

• I’ve been wanting to make my own chicken pot pie. This one looks bigger then the ones I’m use to seeing. 😉

You can make smaller pies using dough in smaller pans

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.