Week #38 Grocery Notes: Hopefully you’ve been following the Sales cycles for this month and taking advantage of deals on fruits-n-vegetables and applying them to your own menus! I was thrilled to see Kale on sale this week, which gives us a chance to savor the flavors of zuppa toscana soup, perfect when there’s a chill in the air.
Using the grocery guide, I took advantage of the sales in our area and purchased the following:Romaine lettuce, 4 cukes, cream cheese, celery, milk , a 5# bag of sugar, 5 lbs of blueberries (in season), plums, pluots,radishes, sandwich meat (salami, ham), american cheese, butter, chips, sour cream, 2 loaves of Italian bread, kidney beans and a couple boxes of cereal.
Walmart had an “Unannounced” sale on baking items so I snagged several bags of baking chips, semi-sweet, peanut butter, butterscotch, etc. Be checking for future recipes of various goodies using these up. Grocery total for the week $52.18
September 19th- 26th
- Breakfast:cereal or oatmeal
- Lunch: Grilled cheese
- Dinner:Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup, Garlic Bread
- Breakfast: homemade yogurt with sliced peaches (home canned)
- Lunch: Egg Salad Sandwiches
- Dinner: Meatloaf, Baked Potato, Salad
- Breakfast:Blueberry Muffins
- Lunch:open-faced Meatloaf sandwiches w/gravy
- Dinner: Game Night! Big Whip– kids are back full swing into the sports season, so we need FAST meals for Ravenous Teens on Game nights!
- Breakfast:Bagels & Cream Cheese
- Lunch:Grilled Eggplant Pizza (follow recipe here, just use eggplant instead!)
- Dinner: Chili, cornbread, salad
- Breakfast: Ham & cheese Omelet with veggies
- Lunch:Mini Pizza Bites
- Dinner: Chili & Cheddar Smothered Baked Potato, Salad
- Breakfast:poached eggs on toast
- Lunch: Egg Drop Soup & peanut butter sandwiches
- Dinner: Grilled chicken, scalloped potatoes, salad
- Breakfast:Cereal or Oatmeal
- Lunch:Tuna Salad Wrap (Homemade tomato basil tortilla)
- Dinner: “Restaurant Night” – this isn’t actually eating out, instead we use the individual portion size meals that have been vacuum sealed and frozen. See the ebook for details
- Microwave Popcorn
- Granola bars
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- Deviled Eggs
- Blueberry Pie
- Fresh Fruit- Plums, Pluots, Bananas, Peaches
Drinks included: * Iced Tea (Sweet Tea)
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
A few things I’d like to share:First, I am amazed at how much grocery prices have jumped UP the last few weeks. Here are just a few items that have dramatically increased, canned goods, (many have gone up .25 cents or more), corn and wheat products (due, in part, to the massive drought and fires that have spread throughout the midwest and Texas), Dairy products- particular cheese. I noticed some of the packages have gone up nearly a full $1.
Folks, the prices aren’t going to get any better than this- so we all need to learn how to tighten the belt and find the best deals using whatever resources we can. We’d love to hear your money saving grocery budgeting tips too!
Feel free to share them in the comments area below….