2012 $50 Weekly Menu Week #8-The winter blahs have finally settled in and quite frankly, I’m ready for some Spring fare! Finally fresh veggies are at an almost decent price, green peppers are .89, tomatoes on the vine are .79, romaine hearts are .99, Red onions are .69 and mushrooms are .79. I took full advantage of the sales on vegetables and loaded up the cart. I figure that the green peppers can be diced up and tossed into the freezer for casseroles & dishes that require sauteed peppers, as well as dehydrated to make dressings, dips and seasoning mixes. I also grabbed some fresh strawberries, a couple packages of cream cheese and fresh spinach. Total out of pocket, $48.14
Here’s our dirt cheap menu plan for the week . . .
- Breakfast:Blueberries & Cream Oatmeal
- Lunch: Pesto Egg Salad Wraps
- Dinner:Grilled Steaks, Salad, Sweet Potato Fries
- Breakfast: pancakes or french toast sticks
- Lunch:Leftover Tuscan Stew
- Dinner:Bacon Spinach Rotini
- Breakfast:Poached eggs on toast
- Lunch: Leftover Bacon Spinach rotini
- Dinner: Boston Baked Beans, cornbread
- Breakfast:Mini Orange-Maple French Toast Breakfast Casseroles
- Lunch:Apple Cabbage Toss & Leftover Baked Beans
- Dinner: Homemade Pizza with Pepperoni & Veggies
- Breakfast:Poached Eggs on Toast
- Lunch: Dijon egg Salad wraps & Leftover baked Beans
- Dinner:Grilled Chicken & Au Gratin Cabbage
Sunday26th: Daytona 500 Race Day!
- Breakfast: Waffles & Coffee – All day Party/Race feast with friends
- Fresh Fruit- Granny Smith Apples, Cinnamon walnut cherry Cheeseball
- Chewy Granola Bars
- Pretzel Sticks with Onion Blossom Sauce
- Deviled Eggs
Drinks included: * Iced Tea (Sweet Tea)
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
FYI: The sweet potatoes mentioned are from our garden last year. I figured that I’d better hurry up and use them as several of them have started sprouting already. As such, I’ve pulled the “eyes” off the potatoes and placed them in water to root. We’ll be trying a new (cheap!) method of gardening in a couple weeks and these will come in handy. Apparently I bought too much food last week, because we’re still munching on granny smith apples this week. Incidentally, if you haven’t tried the cinnamon walnut cherry cheeseball, you’re really missing out!
Dh managed to find some fairly decent steaks on sale so I incorporated them into this weeks menu.
The freezer is still fairly full of chicken that we purchased back in November/Dec- but the traditional February sales cycles tells me to be on the lookout for great deals on steaks, pork ribs, seafood etc. I already found oatmeal about half price (it’s National Hot Breakfast month)!
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / HHLtDave5