2012 $50 Weekly Menu Plan Week #30– This weeks $50 menu plan is actually a $10 Menu plan, what we like to consider a “frugal fast”. . .
which is essentially when you choose to use what you have in your pantry, fridge and freezer rather than purchasing additional groceries. For us, this frugal fast serves 2 purposes- the first is that it allows us to use up items that have been setting in the freezer too long. We have a number of packages of frozen veggies (many home sealed when purchased at Farmers markets) as well as a considerable amount of frozen halibut and salmon. The second reason for the frugal fast is to allow this weeks grocery budget allowance of $50 to be pooled with next week’s budget for a planned meat restocking week.
This week we purchased the following:
- Milk $3.18 (Walmart)
- 2 heads Lettuce .79 Head = $1.58
- Cantaloupe ($1 each!)
- Cottage Cheese $1.99
- Bananas (5lbs) $2.20
From the garden we pulled in about 25 pounds of Tomatoes, a dozen or so cucumbers, several pounds of jalapeno peppers, a few green peppers and a couple eggplants. The remaining items in our menu will have to come from the pantry, fridge and freezer.
* Breakfast: Tomato Basil Omelet, Toast, Coffee
* Lunch: Melon Banana Salad (Still have leftover honeydew melon from last week!)
* Dinner: Sticky Turkey Balls over Jasmine Rice, steamed Asparagus Spears
* Breakfast: Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
* Lunch:Leftover Sesame Chicken
* Dinner: Taco Salad (made with ground turkey!)
* Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, toast
* Lunch: Taco Wraps (leftover taco meat, cheese, lettuce, sliced jalapeno, black olives, tomatoes)
* Dinner: Crab Stuffed Halibut, rosemary & dill roasted potatoes, steamed green beans
Your most Frequently Asked Questions about our weekly Menu Plans are available here.
For those that are just joining our weekly menus, we do raise our own chickens (for fresh eggs) and get about a dozen per day- So if you’re noticing a large number of eggs in our menu, that’s why!
If you haven’t read our eBook yet, “The 2012 Family Guide to groceries under $250” check it out 🙂
If you are struggling to reduce your own grocery bill and would like additional assistance, check out our $50 Menu plan help across the USA. As an added advantage, if we choose your request for assistance & provide a spotlight menu for your zipcode, we’ll also provide you with a free copy of our eBook to help get you started!
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / robynmac