2013 $50 Weekly Menu Plan Week #1: Welcome to week #1 of our 2013 $50 Budget Weekly Menu plan for a family of 4 (which in our home includes 2 adults and 2 teenage guys). Since the country seems to be up in arms over the fiscal cliff- wondering what will happen next and what the ramifications will be, we decided that we’d continue on for another year of sharing our budget menu plans. It is our intention and hope to help as many families as possible in the coming year and to continue to learn from each of our guests and members as well.
We anticipate a sharp increase in grocery prices this year, for several reasons. The first- due to the fiscal cliff; The second, to the severe drought that plagued the mid-west throughout 2012.
For this weeks menu plan we purchased the following: Powdered Milk (a rather LARGE Container)- in anticipation of projected $7 a gallon milk prices by February, fresh mushrooms, green peppers, onions, dry beans (navy, black, chickpeas, kidney), Dark Fudge Cake Mix, pineapple, pomegranates, yogurt, oatmeal, pepperoni, ground turkey (aldi $1.67 lb), milk, 15 Pkgs of Frozen Veggies (assorted), crushed tomatoes (4 cans), corn starch, Cantaloupe, avocado, grape tomatoes, celery, artisan lettuce, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, apples, unsweetened applesauce, hard cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, colby), Parmesan Cheese, powdered coffee creamer, potatoes, tea and bacon (marked on sale)- Total Spent $54.62
MondayDecember 31st, 2012: Happy New Years Eve! To those celebrating, please get home safely!
- Breakfast:Cantaloupe Chunks Dipped in Honey-Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Lunch: Chipotle Egg Salad Wraps
- Dinner:New Years Eve Party! Pepperoni Stew & Hot Parmesan Herb Biscuits & Game Day Football Whoopie Pies (College Game!)
Tuesday 1st: Happy New Year!
- Breakfast:Homemade Donuts (made the night before!) for tradition & Good Luck in the Coming Year
- Midday Meal:Traditional Southern New Years Meal with Friends, bringing a dessert and cornbread
- Breakfast:Blueberries & Cream Oatmeal
- Lunch: Leftover Stews from New Years Gathering
- Dinner:Turkey Stroganoff, salad
- Breakfast:Copycat Burger King French Toast Sticks & Homemade Hot Chocolate
- Lunch: Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Dinner:Chicken Pot Pie, Salad
- Breakfast:Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal
- Lunch: Creamy Tomato Soup
- Dinner:Bacon Guacamole Grilled Cheese Sandwich, Tomato Vinaigrette Salad
- Breakfast:Cantaloupe Chunks & Yogurt
- Lunch: Bacon Egg Salad on Homemade Pita Bread
- Dinner:No Mac Cauliflower & Cheese, Steamed Spinach
- Deviled Eggs. Hard Boiled Eggs
- Fresh Fruit- Pineapples, Pomegranates, Apples, Home-Canned Peaches
- Copycat Oreo Cookies
- Copycat Fruit Roll Ups
If you’re just joining us there are a few things that you need to know. First, we raise our own chickens for fresh eggs, which is why you’ll never see them listed in the groceries purchased and why they are used abundantly. Our friends and neighbors drop in and pick up the extra eggs (which can range up to 8-10 dozen per week) and usually donate .50-$1 per dozen, which is how we cover the expense of supplemental grain. We also feed them all veggie/fruit kitchen scraps as well.
In addition to the above it has come to our attention that a few folks who are just joining us are getting the wrong impression that we purchase EVERYTHING at once for each weeks menu plan.
This is not the case at all, nor do we recommend it. We are incorporating items purchased or home canned weeks ago into the menu plan this week. For example, back on week #39 we purchased over 40 pounds of meat- I promise you we didn’t eat that all that week! For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Current Sales Trends-not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends for the month of December, so you know what savings to expect
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– a few of the most often asked questions regarding our $50 menu plans
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / JuriahMosin