2013 $50 Weekly Menu Plan Week #3: This weeks menu plan focus is on cutting some of the simple carbs, mainly white flour and sugar for higher energy. We purchased the following: artisan lettuce, celery, green peppers, radishes, carrots, milk, yogurt, tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, fresh strawberries, blueberries, green beans, fresh mushrooms, onions, colored bell peppers, tuna, grapes, bananas, pomegranates, granny smith apples, tea, coffee Total Spent is . . . $47.61
Breakfast Choices this week: We mentioned last week that we’re back on our workout plan and while we’re eating breakfast, it’s actually being divided into mini-meals. Rather than list 3 meals a day (which isn’t really how we consume them!) we’re going to list the items that are available/planned for instead.
- Guilt Free Strawberry Shortcake Muffins
- Fruit & Yogurt Parfait
- Scrambled Eggs
- Hard Boiled Eggs (great protein burst, dirt cheap, actually free since we raise chickens).
- Guilt Free Blueberry Muffins(Complex carbs, 2 ww points!)
- Poached eggs
- Cottage Cheese & Berries
- Egg White Omelets (Egg whites, diced veggies, seasonings -usually mexican/chipotle since it vamps up the metabolism)
- Onion Bagels
Now, here’s a note about the lunch and dinner menu plan as well. Some of us are “Low-carbing” it right now and some of us are not. Which means that you might see potatoes, rice or corn on the menu plan, but not everyone will be partaking. We’re still eating Wraps because they’re very very low in carbs and are so much tastier than lettuce leaves!
MondayJanuary 14, 2013:
- Lunch: Wraps made with leftover pepper steak (from Sundays dinner)
- Dinner:Mohican Grilled Chicken, Steamed Green Beans, poor womans taters
- Lunch: Tuna Grape Salad on Sun-dried tomato wraps
- Dinner: Cajun Roast Pork Tenderloin, rosemary & dill roasted potatoes, salad
- Lunch: Parmesan Dijon Broiled Tomatoes (For the adults) Ham & Cheese Wraps kids
- Dinner:Pizza Stew
- Lunch: Leftover Pizza Stew
- Dinner:Baked Halibut, steamed broccoli, salad
- Lunch: Winter Fruit Salad with lemon poppyseed dressing (omit pears)
- Dinner:Grilled Pork Chops, Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Dried Cranberries, salad
- Lunch: po’ gwrl (toasted cheese and tomato sandwich w/ dab of mayo)
- Dinner:Shepherds Pie, Salad
- Deviled Eggs. Hard Boiled Eggs
- Fresh Fruit- Apples, bananas, grapes
- Walnut Cherry Cheeseball & Apple Slices
- Hummus & Carrot Sticks
Drinks Available:A note about our drink offerings, while we do always have coffee and tea in the house, coffee is usually with breakfast, hot tea is usually in the evening and for the most part our other drinks consist of Water. We don’t “drink milk” at all. Some people feel that milk is very healthy, some do not.
* Iced Tea (Unsweetened & Sweet Tea)
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
* Lemonade A few things we’d like to share with you:
You might have noticed that eggs are never in our “just purchased” list, this is because we raise our own chickens and often sell the extra eggs to cover the expense of their feed which equates to Free Food for us!
In addition to the above it has come to our attention that a few folks who are just joining us are getting the wrong impression that we purchase EVERYTHING at once for each weeks menu plan.
This is not the case at all, nor do we recommend it. We are incorporating items purchased or home canned weeks ago into the menu plan this week. For example, back on week #39 we purchased over 40 pounds of meat- I promise you we didn’t eat that all that week! For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Current Sales Trends-not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends for the month of December, so you know what savings to expect
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– a few of the most often asked questions regarding our $50 menu plans