2013 $50 Weekly Menu Plan Week #13: This past weekend we held the weekly gathering at our place, as such, the fridge is filled with a smattering of this and that, including a Mexican Rice casserole (heartily smothered with diced tomatoes, lettuce, black olives and a touch of hot peppers), banana split trifle, beer can chicken and broccoli slaw. These items will make their way into the kids lunches this week. Total spent this week $11.02 . . .
We picked up a gallon of milk, 5lbs of apples, a fresh cauliflower, pears and lettuce. We still have leftover celery, peppers, a whole cabbage, and a couple bananas left from last week as well.
Breakfast Choices this week: Breakfast is hit or miss in our house, some days the kids eat a few things, some days they grab a piece of fruit and a mug of coffee.
With that in mind, Here are this weeks Breakfast options:
- Homemade Granola
- Soft Boiled Eggs & Toast
- Sugared Chocolate Donuts
- Egg White Omelets (Egg whites, diced veggies, seasonings)
- Cinnamon Apple Breakfast Quesadillas
- Eggs- Poached, scrambled, fried, etc
- Grape Salad (leftover)
- Southwestern Eggs Benedict
- Fresh Fruit (always available)
MondayMarch 25, 2013:
- Lunch: Egg Salad Tex Mex Wrap (The kids will take Grilled Chicken Wraps with them)
- Dinner:Honey Chipotle Sticky Chicken, cauliflower au gratin, Garden Salad
- Lunch: Grilled Cheese sandwich & Creamy Tomato Soup
- Dinner:Fifty Cent Soup
- Lunch: Apple Cabbage Toss
- Dinner:Chowder & Biscuits (We haven’t decided if we’re having Corn Chowder or Fish Chowder!)
Friday February 29th:
Saturday March 30th:
- Lunch: Leftover Thai Pasta
- Dinner:Bacon Veggie Quiche
Sunday 31st: Happy Easter
- Midday-Dinner with Friends/Family
- Fresh Fruit– Apples, Bananas (leftover from last week), Pear
- Honey Crunch Granola Bars
- Broccoli Slaw (Leftover from Last weekends Gathering)
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Banana Split Trifle pictured at the top, this is leftover from Last weeks gathering
Drinks Available:A note about our drink offerings, while we do always have coffee and tea in the house, coffee is usually with breakfast, hot tea is usually in the evening and for the most part our other drinks consist of Water. We don’t “drink milk” at all.* Iced Tea (Unsweetened & Sweet Tea, various flavors)
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
A few things we’d like to share with you:
The sweet potatoes mentioned in this weeks menu plan are from our own garden. When we tilled the garden we found several pounds that apparently wintered well.
It has been brought to our attention that a few folks who are just joining us are getting the wrong impression that we purchase EVERYTHING at once for each weeks menu plan. This is not the case at all, nor do we recommend it. We are incorporating items purchased or home canned weeks ago into the menu plan this week.
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- March Sales Trends-not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends for the month of March, so you know what savings to expect
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– a few of the most often asked questions regarding our $50 menu plans