2013 $50 Weekly Menu Plan Week#43: Pantry Challenge! This week we’re opting to buy very little to save for next week’s planned pantry restocking week; Plus- we’re in the middle of remodeling our kitchen, which means we’ll be using the crockpot alot! Towards the end of October and throughout November. . . baking supplies traditionally go on sale at closeout prices. As such, rather than spend a bunch of money this week, we’re going to dine almost exclusively from the pantry, fridge and freezer.
I say Almost exclusively because I still NEED salad as a side dish. Please note, that any cooked bell peppers listed in recipes is usually from bell peppers we grew in our modest garden then diced and froze in 1/2 cup increments.
From the Store & Farmers Market: Artisan lettuce, celery, bell peppers, radishes, cherry tomatoes, fresh mushrooms (on sale for .69!)
Total Spent this week $8.03
From the Garden: jalapenos
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
Breakfast Options for this week:
- Morning Glory Banana Nut Muffins
- Blueberry Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Eggs- Scrambled, poached, over easy, fried, or Omelets with toast
- Homemade English Muffins
- Mandarin Orange Refrigerator Oatmeal
- Skinny Shakes **
- Homemade Cinnamon Raisin Bagels or Onion Bagels
- Lunch: Leftover Southeastern Chicken Stew, Cornbread
- Dinner:Venison & Broccoli over steamed Rice (Substituting Venison for the beef & using Frozen broccoli)
- Lunch: Leftover Venison/Rice in a wrap with lettuce
- Dinner:Chicken Cacciatore over Spiral Pasta
- Lunch: leftover Chicken Cacciatore & Homemade rolls
- Dinner:Crockpot Salisbury Steak & Gravy& Baked Potatoes
FridayOctober 25th: Halloween Party with Friends
- Lunch: Leftover Baked Beans & Cornbread(set some aside for Freddie Krueger Casserole later!)
- Dinner:Potluck Get Together, bringing Pumpkin Whoopie Pies&Freddie Krueger Casserole(using leftover baked beans)
SaturdayOctober 26th : Another Halloween Festival Out
- Midday:Another Halloween Party/Festival Get together, we’ll be having Smokey Mummies
SundayOctober 27th:Breakfast for dinner!
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Pears, Mango, Home-Canned Peaches, Home Canned applesauce
FYI: We frequently make batches of muffins (usually 12-24 muffins at a time), let them cool and them wrap them individually in plastic wrap. We store these in the door of the freezer so that we can grab one, toss it in the microwave for 17 seconds and head out the door with a hot breakfast. So, when you see multiple types of muffins listed in the breakfast or snack options, that is why!
Again, when bananas are fully ripe and before they become “overripe”, we cut them into chunks and dump them into a baggie in the freezer for quick smoothie additions or to make “Skinny shakes” with for healthy snacks. I don’t bother putting fruit fresh on them or dipping in them in lemon juice first because I don’t care if they brown, I usually puree them in smoothies anyway, but if you’re concerned about the color of yours you can dip them in lemon juice or sprite first to keep them from turning.
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we’ve put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions–Why we don’t provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren’t in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions– more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn’t Add up– Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren’t listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- October Sales Trends- not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of September, so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later – if you gain nothing else from this site, don’t overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family.