2013 $50 Weekly Menu Plan Week #50: December is a fantastic time of year to stock up on baking supplies and often times pantry supplies as well. Lots of times in our weekly menu you’ll see baking items used that aren’t listed in that weeks grocery purchases, the reason is . . .
We only purchase baking supplies a few times per year, when they are at their cheapest. Chocolate and other baking chips are generally as cheap as $1 per package for brand name and store well in the freezer. Any flour that is purchased is always frozen for at least 24 hours to prevent grain bugs.
From the Farmers Market & Store: Artisan Lettuce, celery, bell pepper, tomatoes, semolina flour, graham flour, Chocolate chips (semi-sweet & milk chocolate, mint chips, butterscotch chips, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cabbage, carrots, Total spent $51.98
Using the jar system to store our prepared veggies, we spend on average about 20 minutes at the beginning of the week getting them ready. It makes meal preparation a breeze during the busy weeknights, particularly during wrestling season when it’s not uncommon to have tournaments all day long.
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
Breakfast Options for this week: Oranges, Grapefruits, Tangelos (From last week’s Fundraiser!)
- Grapefruit halves & Toast
- Maple Almond Scone Bites with vanilla glaze
- Eggs- Scrambled, poached, over easy, fried, or Omelets with toast
- Peaches & Cream Oatmeal
- English Muffins with Homemade Jam & Coffee
- Blueberries & Cream Oatmeal
- Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- Southern Charm Oatmeal
We’re really not all that elaborate on breakfast. Most of the household prefers coffee & toast, even our teens, who
frequently just grab a piece of fresh fruit to eat mid-morning.
- Lunch: Leftover Crockpot Beef & Broccoli
- Dinner: Beer Can Chicken, Baked Potato, steamed veggie (whatever is on hand in the freezer)
TuesdayDecember 10th:Wrestling Match Night- need something extremely fast
- Lunch: Chicken Salad Wraps
- Dinner: Chili Dogs, potato salad
- Lunch: Egg Salad Wraps
- Dinner: Southeastern Chicken Stew , cornbread
ThursdayDecember 12th: Tournament night- these stuffed shells were prepared ahead and frozen in a 9×13 foil pan
- Lunch:Leftover Stew
- Dinner: Spinach Stuffed Shells, Garlic bread, salad
Friday December 13th:
- Lunch: On the road
- Dinner: Chili Mac, salad
SaturdayDecember 14th: Digital Pressure Cooker Stew!
- Lunch:Leftover Chili Mac or Grilled Cheese
- Dinner: Winter Lentil Soup, Biscuits
Sunday December 15th:
- Lunch: Leftover Soup
- Dinner: Cabbage Rolls, Rice
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Apples, Bananas, Home Canned Peaches
- Apple Slices with Cinnamon Apple Cheeseball
- Microwave Popcorn
- Carolina Firecrackers
- Candied Pecans
Drinks Available:* Iced Tea (Unsweetened or Sweet Tea)
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
* Mulled Cranberry Juice
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we’ve put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions–Why we don’t provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren’t in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions– more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn’t Add up– Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren’t listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- December Sales Trends–not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of December so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later – if you gain nothing else from this site, don’t overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family.
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / MSPhotographics
Be the first to comment