2014 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week #2: Originally this week was supposed to be a meat restocking week, but since we now have venison in the freezer, we opted to wait an extra week before going. If you live in an area where there is a lot of hunting and you enjoy venison, you still may be able to get meat for the freezer for as little as .50 a lb even if You DON’T Hunt . . .
Oftentimes, particularly in areas where hunters can tag multiple animals, people are unable (or unwilling) to pick up the meat after it’s been packaged at the processors. We have several in our area alone that frequently have 8-10 animals per week that no one comes back for throughout hunting season.
Call the local meat processors in your area and let them know that you would be willing to pay for an animal if someone decides not to pick it up. The early you do this in a season, the better off you are, because with many processors, it gives you first dibs, so to speak. Depending on what type of processing was ordered (and not paid!) you can often get deals for as little as .50 per pound. (That’s, cut, packaged and frozen meat ready for the freezer!).
From the Farmers Market & Store: Artisan Lettuce, Celery, apples, bananas, fresh pears, zucchini, green beans, balsamic vinegar, cucumber, provolone cheese, fresh cantaloupe, Vanilla Yogurt, bell peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes
Total spent $28.71 Remaining balance will carry over towards next weeks Meat Restocking week!
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
Breakfast Options for this week: Fresh Fruit (Pineapples, Cantaloupe, Bananas, Apples)
- Cinnamon Apple Pecan Refrigerator Oatmeal
- Cantaloupe/Banana Fruit Bowls
- Lemon Oatmeal Pancakes
- Home Canned Peaches & Toast
- Pumpkin Spice Raisin Scones
- Breakfast Burritos (Scrambled egg, cheese, veggies in homemade bacon tortillas or homemade sundried tomato tortillas)
- Fruit & Yogurt Parfaitsor Yogurt & Homemade Granola Parfaits
Monday January 6th:
- Lunch: Toasted Po’ Gwrl (Provolone, Tomato sandwich)
- Dinner: Chicken Parmesan, Tomato Cucumber Salad, jasmine rice
Tuesday January 7th:
- Lunch: Parmesan Chicken Wraps (using leftover chicken)
- Dinner: Grilled Pork Ribs, Crispy Garlic Romano Sweet Potato Fries, salad
Wednesday January 8th:
- Lunch: BBQ Pork Wraps using leftover ribs
- Dinner:Garden Bounty Saute, garlic bread
Thursday January 9th:
- Lunch: PB & J or Minted Egg Salad
- Dinner: Shepherds Pie, salad
FridayJanuary 10th: Kids are off for an over-nighter due to a wrestling tournament, so It’s just my my other half and I, hence the lighter fare
SaturdayJanuary 11th: Game’s On! Also Bringing Football Whoopie Pies
- Midday: Chili Cookoff Party with Friends! Today is a Tournament day with our kids and a friend offered to make our Chili for us!
- Midday: Boston Baked Beans, red hot dogs, brown bread
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Apples, Bananas, Cantaloupe, Pears
- Hardboiled Eggs
- Blissful Chocolate Mousse
For my family those items are Jordans Red Hot Dogs, Maine Italians (there’s NO substitute out there!), and lobstah’, ayuh. (Sorry, Slipping back to that ol’ Maine accent for a second!)
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we’ve put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions–Why we don’t provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren’t in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions– more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn’t Add up– Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren’t listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- January Sales Trends–not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of January so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later – if you gain nothing else from this site, don’t overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family