2014 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week #12: Happy St. Patrick’s Day to you! If you haven’t had a chance yet to take advantage on the March Madness sales, it’s a great time to get to the grocery store and stock up on corned beef (we found it for as little as $1.50 a pound in the last week!), cabbages, cajun seasonings, rice and hams (sales just starting on those!). This week we picked up … the following:
Bananas, Cantaloupe, Yogurt, Lettuce, Green Peppers, cabbages, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, apples, cream cheese, sour cream, cucumber, celery (2 bunches on sale), lime juice, beans, tuna fish, 10 bags frozen veggies, 10lbs Chicken Leg Quarters
We’re stocking up on a few items (various types of beans) for an upcoming freezer session.
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs (Getting nearly 3 dozen per day)
From our Windowsill: Fresh Scallions, Fresh Basil
Total spent this week on groceries $50.21
Breakfast Options for this week: Fresh Fruit – Bananas, Apples, Canned Peaches
As usual We’ll throw together a fruit salad to snack on and eat for breakfast, along with the following choices:
- Donut Muffins
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Melon Balls & Frozen Raspberries drizzled with lime yogurt
- Egg White Omelets (Egg whites, diced veggies, seasonings)
- Homemade Bagels-Blueberry, Cinnamon Raisin or Onion
- Poached Eggs on Toast
- Cherry Raisin Bread French Toast
- Fruit/Berry Yogurt Parfaits
Monday March 17th:
- Lunch: Dilled Egg Salad Wraps
- Dinner: Cabbage Rolls (using planned leftovers from the St paddies boiled dinner), Salad
Tuesday March 18th:
Wednesday March 19th:
- Lunch: leftover Jambalaya
- Dinner: Sausage Stuffed Green Peppers
Thursday March 20th:
Friday March 21st:
Saturday March 22nd: Sorry- No Menu plan for today- this is a very special day for someone in our family and no additional details are available at this time.
Sunday March 23rd:
- Lunch: Leftover Taco Pasta
- Dinner: Catfish Nuggets, copycat KFC coleslaw,Crispy Parmesan Garlic Fries
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Apples, Bananas, Fresh Pineapple, Fresh Berries
- Strawberry Sorbet
- Chewy Granola Bars
- Strawberry Jello Pie
Drinks Available:* Iced Tea (Unsweetened or Sweet Tea)
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
FYI:We’ve started more seedlings indoors with homemade junk mail pots (aka flyers!) and we’ve decided that in order to keep getting organic veggies cheap enough, we’ll need to build a small greenhouse. That project will be appearing on our sister site, Budget101.com soon!
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we’ve put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions–Why we don’t provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren’t in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions– more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn’t Add up– Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren’t listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- March Sales Trends–not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of March so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later – if you gain nothing else from this site, don’t overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / margouillat