2014 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week #25: Each week we strive to find new ways to save money, constantly seeking to reduce the grocery budget and this week we . . .
failed. Our modest greenhouse was working so well, but a couple 100+ degree days while we were away at work and the temperatures INSIDE the greenhouse soared to a whopping 140F, essentially cooking our tender lettuce and a flat of beet greens. We really felt that they’d be okay just one or two days in our absence; Lesson learned.
This week we purchased the following: Greek Yogurt, Lettuce, Chicken (20lbs), avocado, 2 lbs of shrimp on sale, marshmallows, Hershey bars, corn on the cob
The Total spent this week was $48.69
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs (Getting nearly 3 dozen per day)
From our Windowsill/ Garden: Chives, Scallions, Fresh Herbs (Cilantro, Parsley, Rosemary, dill, oregano, basil), Spinach, beet greens, baby carrots, onions (grown from scraps), green peppers, Cucumbers, zucchini, summer squash, Tomatoes, watermelon
Total spent this week on groceries
Breakfast Options for this week: (Fresh Fruit Choices, Apples, bananas, cantaloupe)
- Western Omelets (ham/cheese/onions/green peppers)
- Cinnamon Raisin Toast
- Oven Baked French Toast
- Hash Browns, Eggs, Toast
- Poached Eggs on Toast
- Harvest Peach Refrigerator Oatmeal
Monday June 16th:
Tuesday June 17th:
- Lunch: Cucumber Sandwiches
- Dinner: Mexi-Cali Grilled Shrimp Salad
Wednesday June 18th:
- Lunch: PB & J, Sliced Cucumbers
- Dinner: Garden Bounty Summer Saute over Egg Noodles, Toasted Garlic Bread
Thursday June 19th:
- Lunch: Leftover Veggie Saute
- Dinner:Italian Marinated Grilled Pepper Steak (using Venison this time!),Grilled Zucchini
Friday June 20th:
- Lunch: Cucumber Sandwiches
- Dinner: Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers(using leftover venison from last night), Grilled Taters
Saturday June 21th: Happy Summer!
Sunday June 22th:
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Apples, Canned Peaches, Blackberries
- Carrot Zucchini Bars
- Angel Food Cake (w/ berries)
- Healthy Zucchini Brownies
Drinks Available:* Iced Tea (Unsweetened or Sweet Tea)
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
FYI:The apples mentioned in this weeks menu were left over from last week. Some of the berry bushes near the house are producing and it won’t be long before we’re enjoying angel food cake with fresh berries dropped on top.
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we’ve put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions–Why we don’t provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren’t in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions– more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn’t Add up– Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren’t listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- June Sales Trends–not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of June so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later – if you gain nothing else from this site, don’t overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family