Week 8 Grocery Notes: Over the past few weeks while shopping, we’ve had the opportunity to stock the freezer with numerous packages of boneless skinless chicken breast and pork in various cuts (roasts, chops, loin, etc). With meat in the freezer, our focus this week is restocking the pantry with essentials, Flour, sugar, coffee, oil, seasonings/spices, cornmeal, powdered sugar, a few boxes of elbow macaroni & rotini pasta.
I found some great deals on fruits and veggies in season including broccoli, grapefruit, navel oranges as well as deals on cereal, crackers and steaks.
February 21st – February 27th – Grapefruit was definitely in abundance this week- we took full advantage! Having been raised eating everything and anything, our children are more than happy to eat fresh grapefruit for breakfast. Younger kids may prefer orange segments with a honey yogurt dip.
- Breakfast: fresh grapefruit, toast
- Lunch: Pesto Egg Salad Wraps
- Dinner: Chicken Broccoli Stir Fryover Jasmine Rice
- Breakfast: Homemade Yogurt, toast
- Lunch: Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Dinner: Hearty Taco Pasta
- Breakfast: fresh grapefruit
- Lunch: Taco Pasta
- Dinner: Chicken Enchiladas, Refried Beans
- Breakfast: Donut Muffins
- Lunch: Twice Baked Potato, Side salad
- Dinner: Shepard’s Pie & Biscuits
- Breakfast: Cereal (Oatmeal or Cold Cereal)
- Lunch: Shepard’s Pie & Side salad
- Dinner: Grilled Steaks, Salad, Sweet Potato Fries
Saturday 26th::fishing:We’re going fishing! If all goes well, we’ll be having fresh fish for dinner.
- Breakfast: Homemade Toaster Strudels
- Lunch: Meeting friends at the pond to fish for the day- we’re bringing potato salad & brownies, friends of ours are bringing hot dogs/buns.
- Dinner: Pan-fried Catfish & Hash Brown Potatoes w/ fresh dill – in the event that we REALLY suck at fishing this time around our fallback meal is Pizza.
- Breakfast: Veggie & Cheese Omelets & toast
- Lunch: Italian Potato Porta
- Dinner: Spaghetti w/ Meat Sauce, Toasted Garlic Bread
Various Snacks & Dessert Items:
- Fresh Fruit- oranges, grapefruits
- Chewy Granola Bars
- Lemon Chiffon Cake
- Orange Segments w/ Honey Yogurt Dip & homemade granola – (dip the orange segment in yogurt and then roll in granola for a satisfyingly crunchy snack!)
- Donut Muffins
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Iced Tea or herbal teas
- Orange Cream Fruit Smoothies
A few things I’d like to share:We still had a few sweet potatoes left over from last week and since the sweet potato fries are such a hit, I added them to this weeks menu as well. I can’t speak for other families, particularly those that homeschool, but when our teens get home from school, they are RAVENOUS. They tear open the cupboard doors like they haven’t been fed in weeks. The items that we list in “Various Snacks” above are often afterschool snacks. We try to always have fresh fruit on hand and to make dinner at the same time each night, but that can easily get thrown to the wayside with sports schedules.