2017 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week 1: We’re welcoming in the New Year with a traditional Southern Hoppin’ John dinner and then following it up all week long with some wonderfully warming meals to help stave off the nasty cold weather that we’re expecting.
Sadly, not everyone has access to an Aldi store, which is where we purchase the majority of our groceries these days. The good news is that they are expanding! We took full advantage of the sales this week, jumbo scallops for just $9.99, cream cheese for 85¢, blackberries for 99¢, 3 lbs of Halo mandarins for just $2.49, fantastic deals.
We’re hoping that they’ll have another sale on organic grass-fed beef like they did several months ago when we were able to purchase it at a steal for only $1.99 a pound. We still have leftover celery and carrots from last week, apparently I thought I’d be feeding an army over the holidays.
This week we purchased the following: Whole Chicken, lettuce, green peppers, spinach, cucumbers, bananas, crescent rolls, blackberries, apples red potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, mandarins, Cheese, shrimp, scallops, cream cheese
Total spent this week on groceries: $54.67
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs (about 5 a day- with the cold weather and shorter days the girls just aren’t laying much!)
From our Windowsill/ Garden: a few fresh herbs in the windowsill– cilantro, basil, parsley, rosemary, scallions, tomatoes, sweet potatoes
Breakfast Options for this week:
- Fresh Fruit (cantaloupe, berries)
- Blueberry Croissant Puff
- Popeyes Delight
- Chia Pudding with Blackberries, Pistachios & Coconut
- Eggs-poached, over-easy, hard boiled, scrambled with leftover sauteed veggies & a sprinkle of cheese, etc
- Instant Oatmeal (18 Flavors)
Lunch Options for this week:
- Leftover Meatloaf Sandwiches
- 18 way Egg saladsandwiches or wraps
- Leftover Italian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Tomato Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Chicken Wraps (using leftover chicken from the beer can chicken)
Sunday January 1st:
- Dinner: Traditional Hoppin’ John New Years Dinner(pictured) – for good luck throughout the year!
- Dinner: (Leftover Pork) Quesadilla wraps with lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese & Scalloped potatoes
- Dinner: Beer Can Chicken, sweet potato salad, sliced cucumbers
- Dinner: Meatloaf,Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Salad
- Dinner: 10 Minute Italian Chicken Noodle Soup, Cornbread Muffins or Italian Garlic Bread(depends on if I feel like making bread!)
- Dinner: Sweet & Sour Meatball Stir-fry, Steamed Jasmine Rice
Saturday January 7th : Restaurant Night- It’s supposed to be BONE Cold this weekend, so we’re opting for Chilis!
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Home Canned Peaches, Frozen Strawberries/Blueberries
- English Muffin Bread Toast
- Banana Bread
- Microwave Popcorn
- Deviled Egg Dip & Veggies
Drinks Available: * Iced Tea (Unsweetened or Sweet Tea)
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
FYI:If you’re wondering why all the ingredients listed in the recipes aren’t necessarily showing in the “purchased groceries” list, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions! This weeks ingredients include blueberries from the freezer that we picked last summer and froze, a pork roast we purchased on sale during a meat restocking week, etc.
© Can Stock Photo / bhofack2
*girl squeal* You’re back!!😁☺😁☺