2019 Week #2 $50 Weekly Menu Plan:
This week we purchased the following: Cauliflower, lettuce, green peppers, carrots, celery, bleu cheese, sour cream, cucumbers, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, pineapple, fresh mushrooms, half & half, cream cheese, grapefruit, and bananas
Although the prices of chicken are super cheap this week at just $1.49lb for boneless breast, the pork chops and chicken listed in this weeks menu were purchased in bulk and vacuum sealed this past fall when they were on sale during a meat-restocking week.
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
From our Windowsill: Fresh Cilantro, Fresh Scallions, Fresh Basil
Total spent this week on groceries: $49.17
If you’re not familiar with our weekly menu plans, you’ll notice that our menu often includes ingredients that weren’t included in the weeks’ grocery list, you can read the full explanation why here.
Monday, January 7th:
Tuesday, Jan 8th:
- Lunch: Leftover Salsa chicken in Wraps
- Dinner: Dragonfire Salmon with Pineapple Pico de Gallo on Coconut Jasmine Rice, steamed broccoli
Wednesday, Jan 9th
- Lunch: PB & Jelly Sandwiches
- Dinner: Curried Tomato Chicken Casserole
Thursday, Jan 10th:
Friday, Jan 11th:
- Lunch: Leftover Curried Tomato Chicken in Wraps
- Dinner:Amish Poor Mans Steak,Crispy Garlic Romano Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries, Salad
Saturday, Jan 12th This is an all-day event with a huge group of friends in which we get together and enjoy a plethora of chili’s ranging from mild to who needs a liver.
- Lunch &Dinner:Annual Chili Cook-Off! Since there are so many different types of chili, we’re bringing Cinco De Chili Cupcakes with Chili Cream Cheese Frosting
Sunday, Jan 13th:Its game day here, the playoffs are in full swing, which means munchies rather than big meals.Tonight’s menu item is from a homemade “meal kit” that we previously froze when shrimp was readily available. We make these kits using our Foodsaver vacuum sealer and simply write the directions on the sealed package with a sharpie.
- Lunch: Game Day- Pizza Dip w/ Garlic French Bread Slices
- Dinner:Creole Jambalayaw/ cornbread (monday or tuesday the leftovers will be used in wraps for lunch).
- French Onion Dip & Chips (or cut veggies)
- Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Veggie Sticks with Homemade Bleu Cheese Dip
- Salads with various toppings – I premake several bowls at the beginning of the week and add small containers of nuts (walnut, pecan, cashew pieces, sunflower seeds), dried fruits (cranberries, bits of dried apple, raisins) to sprinkle on top just prior to serving. It’s only about a tablespoon or two, but adds crunch and different flavors. We top these with homemade dressings.
- Bananas, possibly banana pudding