Recipes Budget Recipes Crock Pot Yogurt

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ?s=14&d=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grocerybudget101.com%2Fimages%2Fuser4 Anonymous 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ?s=80&d=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grocerybudget101.com%2Fimages%2Fuser4
    Anonymous

My husband likes greek yogurt and eats it almost everyday for breakfast and sometimes for a quick snack. This can be very expensive buying 3 tubs of 17.5 ounce yogurt at $3.60 -$4.00 each tub every week. I found an easy recipe on youtube that was made using 1/2 gal of milk. I make it using 1 gal of milk so I only have to do it once a week.

You will need to have some yogurt to use as a starter. Use one with live cultures like Dannon or Fage. After that you use the yogurt you made as a starter

Ingredients:

1 gal of milk
    1 cup yogurt

Utensils: Crock Pot
    Colander
    Cheese cloth or coffee filters
    Thermometer
    Large bowl (to set colander in)

Place milk in crock pot and turn on to high. Heat till thermometer registers 185 degrees F. This takes about 3 and 1/2 hours in my crock pot yours may differ and be shorter or longer.

Turn off crock pot once temperature has been reached and move the lid ajar. Cool till temp registers between 110-115 degrees F, then add your yogurt starter and stir in. Does not have to be well mixed

Place cover back on crock pot and then cover with towels or blanket and let sit 8 – 12 hours. Line colander with cheese cloth or coffee filters set in a bowl and ladle in yogurt.

Cover with plastic wrap and let drain 2 hours or longer if you like a thick consistency. You can refrigerate it while it drains or if you like tangy yogurt leave it on the counter to drain. Keep one cup for next time. If not using starter within a week, store it in the freezer and thaw it over night in the refrigerator before using to make next batch.

You can sweeten it with the sweetener of your choice and add extracts to flavor it or leave it plain. Store in air tight containers. I keep mine in 1 cup containers for easy grab and go convenience.

If this is too much yogurt you can halve the recipe, for 1/2 gal of milk it took about 2 and 1/2 hours to come up to temperature.

You can also do this on the stove top, just heat the milk up to 185 degrees F stirring frequently so milk doesn’t scorch,then cool it to 110 degrees F, add the starter and wrap the pot in towels and let sit in a draft free place (oven works well). Drain in colander then store. This way chops off hours but you do have to stay at the stove while the milk heats to temp. Enjoy!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.