Welcome Wagon Meet the Members Greetings

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by 14e77f16ae8867bb1cbe06d6d407c3ce?s=14&d=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grocerybudget101.com%2Fimages%2Fuser4 GB101 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ?s=80&d=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grocerybudget101.com%2Fimages%2Fuser4
    Anonymous

Hello from Ohio! I sort of saw something at Barnes & Noble when Christmas shopping subliminally about grocery shopping for $250 a month. I said something about it to my sister and she said, “You probably have to have a full time job just couponing to do that.” Well, I’m desparate.

I googled $250 grocery budget and found this site. It has taken me a while to figure out how to navigate around but I am slowly figuring things out. I really need to save $ and earn $ by any means possible (within the law). My DH is self-employed and has little to no work when the snow flies.

This is just part of the story. Am looking forward to coming back to frugal living after EXTREME life circumstances.

83e084c3986238b95adf2472632c335f?s=80&d=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.grocerybudget101.com%2Fimages%2Fuser4
    jschick

Been there and done that and am back there again with no way out. DH was totally disabled and for some reason?!?! the credit card company, mortgage and other bills didn’t consult me when we went without any pay for 3 or 4 months. Got mortgage paid off with back SSD and that saved us.

We had to move because of stairs in and out of house. So we came back to my home state. I owned property and a beautiful trailer here. The trailer had set empty for 20 years but it had real wood paneling and was build and insulated well.

We painted the roof and my daughters laid new floors. Had an electrician check wiring and we installed a new septic ($13,700) system. Every month now is getting easier but it has been 2 years. I was so glad all the kids were grown and on their own.

DH and I can do without easier than I can deprive children. But My new love is my Cats. And they eat a lot. but they also are good mousers and are tame and loving.

and that is good since I live in the country now. I hope I can stand to raise and have chickens as I sure could use the eggs! But I have heard the feed is quite expensive and they are a lot of work. so I will have to research that.

Some times it is cheaper to buy it rather than grow or make it.Then there is the feeling of being self sufficient. And that is a great feeling. Well I have learned a lot of things that I have incorporated in my frugal life style. This is a great site for learning.

and I am 63. See you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! He He

But I have heard the feed is quite expensive and they are a lot of work. so I will have to research that.

Welcome to the site, Great intros! I thought I would chime in on the chickens- they’re pretty cheap to keep. Initially you will have to create some sort of shelter for them and they’ll need to be locked in it for about a week after you get them to give them a chance to get settled in, but after that you can let them roam around and they’ll go back inside to lay their eggs. If they’re out roaming, they’re foraging on their own and eating bugs, etc.

Cheap feed!

You can give them minced garlic or add a bit of vinegar to their drinking water to periodically worm them naturally.

We give ours various vegetable and fruit scraps and on occasion I check in with the vegetable stand in town to see if they have old/passing veggies for my girls. The veggie stand has a high turnover but also has quite a few veggies that go by the wayside, wilted a little early, etc. These are great to chop and feed to your hens. Many grocery stores will do this as well if you chat up the manager in the produce section (although some states have laws against this).
    We have 20 or so hens now, so we get more than a dozen eggs a day.

You can sell the extra eggs that your family doesnt need to cover the expense of any extra food, or if you just maintain 3-4 birds, you’ll have plenty of fresh eggs at very little expense.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.