This make ahead pumpkin french toast casserole is quick an easy to throw together the night before a holiday or just to create a special breakfast the entire family can enjoy together. It's a great way to use up bread that has gone a bit stale.
The batter, so to speak, consists of
* 10 slices whole wheat bread, cubed (we use honey wheat)
* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 2/3 cup white sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 6 eggs, beaten
* 1 cup milk
* 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
* 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
If you'd prefer you
Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray (or butter lightly) and add the cubed bread, set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients, blending well. Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread cubes. (If desired, Cover the dish with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.)
Otherwise, Bake Uncovered at 350F - until the pumpkin mixture is set and a toothpick inserted into the center of the casserole comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
If baking in the morning after being refrigerated, simply place the dish in the oven, no preheating required.