* 1 Onion - I use Red onions for both color & flavor but any onion will due
* 1 T. Olive Oil
* 1/2 head Cabbage, chopped into 1 inch pieces
*Handful of Whole Mushrooms, sliced (usually 5-6 large mushrooms)
* 1-2 Tsp. Minced Garlic (I generally use 1 Tablespoon, but we LOVE Garlic!)
* 1 lb Chicken Pieces cut into 1 inch pieces (boneless/skinless)
* Salt & Pepper to Taste
Heat olive oil in lg pan over medium/high heat. Once oil is hot, add onions, sauteing until they begin to caramelize. You want them to take on a nice golden brown sheen, as this adds lots of flavor later on.
Add Garlic and cut up chicken, sauteing until chicken is no longer pink. Add sliced mushrooms and chopped cabbage, saute until cabbage is soft- 5-7 minutes.
reduce heat, add chicken broth, cover and cook
Season to taste with S&P, Serve immediately
Chef Notes: this dish serves 4-6 easily, can be doubled with no issues. If you have teenagers or unexpected guests, serve this over hot steamed rice to extend it.
Now for the GroceryBudget101 Breakdown:
- 1 onion .58 cents
- 1/2 cabbage: .68
- 1 lb Chicken: $1.99 (or less)
- Chicken Stock: .25 (or less)
- Mushrooms: $ .74
Total Cost of Meal to Feed 6 people: $4.24 (or .71 each)
- This is an excellent recipe to use with meat from chicken leg quarters which are often .45-.50 per pound at Walmart and large grocery shopping chains. If using precooked meat, add it during the last few minutes of cooking.