This weeks groceries include: milk, vidalia onions, red onions, pears, bananas, raisin bread, artisan lettuce, fresh broccoli, mango, 6lbs sweet potatoes, fresh mushrooms, blueberries, parsley, red/yellow/orange
In all honesty, the best deal of the week was 7lbs of sweet potatoes for less than $1.
Breakfast Choices this week:
- Guilt Free Cinnamon Mango Muffins Or Mango Cream Oatmeal
- Egg White Omelets (Egg whites, diced veggies, seasonings)
- Blueberry Muffins
- Raisin Toast or Cinnamon Raisin French toast
- Eggs- Poached, scrambled, fried, etc
- Fresh Fruit (always
Monday April 15th, 2013: Tax Day
- Lunch: Grilled Cheese & Tomato Sandwiches
- Dinner: Honey Dijon Salmon, Grilled Sweet Potato Home Fries, steamed asparagus spears
Tuesday April 16th
- Lunch: Egg Salad Sandwich
- Dinner: Peppersteak, Baked Potato, Salad
Wednesday April 17th:
Thursday April 18th:
- Lunch: Meatloaf Sandwiches
- Dinner: Ham & Cheese Empanadas**, salad
Friday April 19th:
Saturday April 20th:
Sunday April 21st:
- Fresh Fruit- Apples, Bananas, Pears, Mango
- Honey Crunch Granola Bars
- Double Expresso Cookies
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Cheddar Crisps
- Carolina Firecrackers (made with oyster crackers)
- Baked Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
Drinks Available: A note about our drink offerings, while we do always have coffee and tea in the house, coffee is usually with breakfast, hot tea is usually in the evening and for the most part our other drinks consist of Water. We don't "drink milk" at all.
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
** We were MIA on week #14- here's why! Check out this article on how to have an amazing vacation on less (in this case, about $50 a day - food/lodging included)
** The salmon mentioned in this weeks menu was fish that we personally caught and vacuum sealed. It always helps the grocery budget to use whatever local foods you can!
Our garden is finally in and doing well, it won't be long before we'll be enjoying fresh summer squash, cucumbers (aka cukes), tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, radishes, carrots and more! What are you planting in your garden this year?
It has been brought to our attention that a few folks who are just joining us are getting the wrong impression that we purchase EVERYTHING at once for each weeks menu plan. This is not the case at all, nor do we recommend it. We are incorporating items purchased or home canned weeks ago into the menu plan this week.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month- a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA- Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- April Sales Trends- not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends for the month of April, so you know what savings to expect
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions - a few of the most often asked questions regarding our $50 menu plans
- Basic Questions- Why we don't provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren't in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions- more in depth questions regarding dietary