It's been awhile since we've done a meat restocking week and we're still planning on doing one around Labor day weekend, which is when the prices of meat traditionally go on sale. So this week we picked up the following: artisan lettuce, celery, feta cheese, fresh brussel sprouts, bananas, apples, cream cheese,
Things from the garden: Carrots, beets, jalapeno peppers, 2 big zucchini we didn't expect!, okra, squash
Breakfast Options for this week:
- Omelet & Hash Browns
- Fruit Salad, Cantaloupe, Pineapple, Banana Chunks
- Blueberry Maple refrigerator oatmeal
- Walkaway Breakfast Burritos (Cheese, eggs, diced onions/green peppers/ bacon/ diced tomatoes, etc)
- Toasted English Muffins with Straw/Zucchini Jam
- Waffles with Sliced Fruit on top
- Bananas dipped in yogurt, rolled in granola run out the door!
- Biscuits & Gravy, Eggs over easy
In addition to the lunch menu options below, we also make Italian Pasta Salad at the beginning of the week- the kids love to munch this afterschool. We also have PB & J on hand, Egg Salad, etc. Here's a tip for you on the egg salad, make a huge batch of plain egg salad, then add any variety of seasonings to a small portion of it to make various flavors. Here are 18 different recipes you can try.
Monday August 19th:
- Lunch: Leftover Homemade Ravioli
- Dinner: Sesame Chicken Stir-Fry, Jasmine Steamed Rice
- Lunch: Sesame
- Dinner: Lazy Tacos Or Mexican Fiesta Casserole (Depends on how many kids are at our house tonight, the casserole feeds more)
- Lunch: Taco Wraps or Taco Salad
- Dinner: Grilled Lemon Pepper Fish (Catfish or Bass), steamed brussel sprouts with garlic butter, loaded twice baked potatoes
Thursday August 22nd:
Friday August 23rd:
- Lunch: Tuna Salad Wrap
- Dinner: Caribbean Grilled Steak, caramelized carrots & Pineapple, Grilled Corn on the Cob, Salad
Saturday August 24th:
- Lunch: Leftover Steak Wraps with pickled jalapeno peppers
- Dinner: Chicken Pot Pie Filling Served over Biscuits (make extra for breakfast in the morning),
Sunday August 25th:
- Midday Get together with Friends/Family:
- Fresh Fruit- Bananas, Apples, Cantaloupe, nectarines (leftover)
- Fiesta Salsa
- Honey Crunch Granola Bars
- Blueberry Cheesecake Popsicles
- Pickled Eggs
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month- a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA- Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later - if you gain nothing else from this site, don't overlook
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions - There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we've put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions- Why we don't provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren't in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions- more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more