Virgin coconut oil has long been touted as one of natures miracle foods, healing a wide range of diseases and maladies that affect our health. Coconut oil is cholesterol free and extremely nutrient dense. It's been shown to increase metabolism
A study in 2009 found that women who consumed 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks LOST weight and lowered their abdominal fat.
5 Tablespoons of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE WITH ANY OTHER OIL)
5 Tablespoons of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (we used Hershey's, naturally)
2 Tablespoons Finely Grated Coconut
2 Tablespoons Sugar or Honey
1 pinch salt
Mix the sugar and solid coconut oil together, mixing well. Add the remaining ingredients, mixing very well and pour/spoon the mixture into chocolate molds or into a an 8x8 square dish, spreading the mixture evenly. Refrigerate it immediately for at least 20 minutes, remove and break into pieces.
If pouring the chocolate into molds, stir well between each pour as the sugar/coconut can clump on the bottom if you wait too long.
Here are several other ideas that we've tried and Love!
- Place walnut or pecan pieces in each of the chocolate molds and then add the homemade chocolate
- Pour a small amount of chocolate, add 1/2 tsp of raspberry jam, top with more chocolate = Raspberry Jelly Filled Chocolates
- Add 1/3 c. Chocolate granola
- Add 1/4 c. Chopped dried Cherries or dried cranberries or any other dried fruit that has been chopped
- add 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract or Mint Extract or Almond Extract, etc
- Add 1/3 c. Bacon Bits for chocolate bacon bon-bons (Trust me- you're entire Family will ADORE YOU!)
- Add 1/4 tsp Chipotle Pepper Powder for a slightly spicy, smoky flavor
- Sprinkle 1/3c. of your favorite trail mix at the bottom of an 8x8 dish, pour the chocolate over the top, refrigerate and break into pieces for Trail Mix Bark
These chocolates will need to be stored in the fridge at Coconut oil melts at 76F and they will quickly puddle if left out in a warm house.
GroceryBudget101 Price Breakdown:
First, you cannot use olive oil or Canola oil to make HEALTHY Chocolates as neither of those oils are Healthy,
Coconut oil was $7.49 for a 16 oz container, there are 30 Tablespoons per container. This recipe is only calling for 5 tablespoons - = .25 per Tablespoon.
This recipe calls for 5 tablespoons of Coconut Oil = $1.25 for this recipe
Baking Cocoa was $2.99 for an 8 oz container which contains 45 servings (1 TBS each) or .07 cents per Tbs. = 0.35 for this recipe
Sugar is negligible and less than .03 for the recipe
Coconut is about .13 if you buy the Unsweetened as we did.
Total cost of recipe for 15 Chocolates $1.75 or 12¢ each
What are your favorite ways to make homemade healthy chocolates??