If you're new to Menu planning, you'll want to check out section on Sales cycles, particularly January Sales Cycles so you'll know what to look for ahead of time. If you've been following our menu plans for a while you already know that we routinely restock meat based on sales cycles rather than purchasing it on a weekly basis. This allows us to use the majority of our weekly budget on fresh fruits and vegetables.
Let's take a look at our current budget:
Week #1 we spent $36.72 carrying forward $13.28 to this weeks budget
Week #2 we spent $28.71 carrying forward $21.29 to this weeks budget
Week #3 $50 - Total available in the Budget $84.57 (without going over)
Total spent Over budget $ 20.54 - so We'll spend less next week to make up for the over-budget spending this week while restocking!
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
Breakfast Options for this week: Fresh Fruit (Pineapple, Bananas, Apples (from last week) grapefruit)
- Mandarin Orange Oatmeal
- Cantaloupe Smoothies (leftover cantaloupe from last week that we froze so it wouldn't go to waste!)
- Espresso Mocha Oatmeal
- Broiled or Fresh Grapefruits & toast
- Tropical Delight Refrigerator Oatmeal
- Omelet & Hash Browns
- Fruit & Yogurt Parfaits or Yogurt & Homemade Granola Parfaits
- Toasted English Muffins with Straw/Zucchini Jam
Monday January 13th:
- Lunch: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Dinner: Monterey Chicken over Mexican rice, steamed green beans (from the freezer)
Tuesday January 14th:
- Lunch: Bacon veggie Quiche
- Dinner: No Flu Cabbage Stew, Cornbread
Wednesday January 15th:
- Lunch: leftover stew
- Dinner: Sesame Chicken Stir-Fry, Jasmine Steamed Rice
Thursday January 16th:
- Lunch: Chipotle Egg Salad wraps
- Dinner: Grilled Lemon Pepper Fish (Catfish or Bass) w/ tartar sauce, steamed brussel sprouts with garlic butter, loaded twice baked potatoes
Friday January 17th:
- Lunch: Fish Tacos
- Dinner: Mexican Fiesta Casserole
Saturday January 18th: Another Wrestling Tournament Day
- Midday: Bringing Honey Crunch Granola Bars, bananas, dried fruit leathers/fruit roll ups, trail mix - making a pot of Crockpot chili before leaving the house
Sunday January 19th:
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available- Apples (leftover from last week), Bananas, Fresh Pineapple
- Hardboiled Eggs
- Honey Crunch Granola Bars
- Fiesta Salsa
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions - There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we've put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions- Why we don't provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren't in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions- more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn't Add up- Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren't listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- January Sales Trends- not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of January so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month- a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA- Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later - if you gain nothing else from this site, don't overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family