This week we purchased the following: Flour, Sugar, Tuna, Bacon Wrapped Beef Filets, Smoked Kielbasa, Mandarin Oranges (canned), pineapple (canned), Sweet & Sour Sauce (LaChoy brand), onion (farmers market deal), Jasmine Rice, 10 lbs Ground Turkey, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yeast, 4 cans evaporated milk, 4 loaves bread, 2 cabbages, 4 cans black olives, 20 lbs chicken, Ricotta Cheese, Cottage cheese, pepperoni, 15 packages frozen veggies (Green beans, corn, peas, broccoli, stir fry blends) Total Spent $124.22
Figuring at $50 per week for 4 weeks, that gives us $200, minus $124.22, which leaves us about $19. per week to purchase fresh veggies. We generally purchase the following each week (if the garden isn't producing well): artisan lettuce $1.99, mushrooms $1, Green Peppers or Celery $1.25, several pounds of Bananas $2.50, greek yogurt $3, cream cheese $1.29 (store brand), Cheese $3, carrots $1. The average for these items is $15. We usually fresh trade eggs at the farmers market for fresh cantaloupe, honeydew, etc. We'll also be eating loads of fresh blueberries (in season) and home-canned peaches.
Before we begin we wanted to point out that we've used the code: (*FL) . This simply means that we're making a double dish and freezing the extra for later in the month. The corned beef mentioned in this meal plan is in the freezer, if you recall our menu plan last March around St Patties day we purchased several on sale and froze them for later in the year. (Guess what, it's later!)
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs (approximately 18-30 per Day)
From our Windowsill/ Garden: Fresh Herbs (Cilantro, Parsley, Rosemary, dill, oregano, basil, mint), green peppers, Tomatoes, watermelon, jalapeno peppers (here & there), Butternut Squash
- Eggs: hard-boiled, poached, over easy, fried, omelets, Frittatas
- Jam Breakfast Bars
- Bananas or Peaches, Watermelon, Cut Melon Chunks, etc
- Refrigerator Oatmeal: Blueberry Maple, Apple Cinnamon Pecan, Banana Cocoa, Chocolate Covered Cherry, Espresso Delights, Peach Melba, Raspberry Vanilla, etc
Lunches: As we've mentioned in the past, we're really not big lunch eaters, but here are a few options that are available: Leftovers, PB & J, Egg Salad Wraps, Tuna Salad Wraps, Chicken Salad Wraps, Hummus, Fruit, Salad, Watermelon Salad
Day #1 Monday July 28th : Chicken Fajita Tortillas / refried beans/ salad
Day #2 Tuesday July 29th: Sweet-n-Sour Kielbasa/ mashed potatoes/ salad (*FL)
Day #3 Wednesday July 30th: Baked Stuffed Halibut or Cod with Newburg sauce /baked potato /salad (*FL)
Day # 4 Thursday July 31st: Hearty Taco Pasta Dish (Rotini noodles with tomatoes/hamburger/ taco seasoning & black olives) (*FL)
Day # 5 Friday August 1st: Lasagna (make an extra one & freeze for end of the month) (*FL)
Day # 6 Saturday August 2nd: Tuna Casserole
Day # 7 Sunday August 3rd: Broiled or Grilled Bacon Wrapped Steak Filets / Salad , Butternut Squash
Day #08 Monday August 4th: Chicken Parmesan with seasoned rice / Broccoli (*FL)
Day # 09 Tuesday August 5th: Spaghetti & Meatballs with Garlic bread & salad
Day # 10 Wednesday August 6th: Beef-n-Bean Burrito's topped with salsa & cheese seasoned Rice on side
Day # 11 Thursday August 7th: Venison Pot Roast with Potatoes/ Carrots/ Onions & biscuits, Gravy (*FL) (Always have enough leftovers for a complete family meal)
Day # 12 Friday August 8th: Restaurant Night: (Copycat recipe from KFC, Olive Garden, etc)
Day # 13 Saturday August 9th: Corned Beef/ Cabbage/ Carrots / Potatoes
Day # 14 Sunday August 10th Chicken Marsala with baked potato & fresh spinach
Day # 15 Monday August 11th: Sweet-n-Sour Kielbasa (left overs from Day 2)/ mashed potatoes/ salad
Day # 16 Tuesday August 12th: Corned beef hash/ biscuits
Day # 17 Wednesday August 13th: Lasagna & salad, garlic bread
Day # 18 Thursday August 14th: Chicken Vegetable soup & cornbread
Day # 19 Friday August 15th: Meatball subs or sweet-n-sour meatballs over egg noodles
Day # 20 Saturday August 16th: Leftover Venison pot roast simmered in gravy & served over Hot Biscuits w/ salad & or peas
Day # 21 Sunday August 17th: Breakfast for dinner: blueberry pancakes, bacon & hash browns
Day # 22 Monday August 18th: Oriental Stir Fry with rice (*FL)
Day # 23 Tuesday August 19th: Chicken Wraps with lettuce/tomato/ parmesan dressing & potato salad
Day # 24 Wednesday August 20th: Homemade Deep Dish Pizza
Day # 25 Thursday August 21st: Bacon/Potato Casserole with sour cream
Day # 26 Friday August 22nd: Sloppy Joes / salad
Day # 27 Saturday August 23rd: Grilled Catfish with marinated veggies
Day # 28 Sunday August 24th: American Chop Suey (*FL)
Hopefully at the end of these 4 weeks we'll have cleaned out the pantry and freezer just a bit and get ready for the next big restocking after Labor day weekend.
The fish mentioned in the above menu plans we caught ourselves and are subject to change based on fishing luck! Don't worry, I let this sweet little Hammerhead Shark go Immediately!
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions - There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we've put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions- Why we don't provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren't in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions- more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn't Add up- Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren't listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- July Sales Trends- not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of July so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month- a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA- Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later - if you gain nothing else from this site, don't overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family