This week we purchased the following: Bushel of Apples (Cortlands, MacIntosh, HoneyCrisp), 2 Gallons of Fresh Pressed Apple Cider, Pork Loin, Bacon Wrapped Beef Filets, Lettuce,
A tip- if you go to a "pick your own" orchard chances are if you ask one of the employees they'll allow you to pick up "drops" which are perfectly good apples that have dropped to the ground. Be sure to check around the stem area for little holes to avoid extra protein!! Since we use our apples to prepare homemade apple crisp and apple pie kits, along with apple pie jelly, drops are perfect. At less than half price per pound, we can get twice as many apples put away for the year.
From our Backyard:
From our Windowsill/ Garden: Fresh Herbs (Cilantro, Parsley, Rosemary, dill, oregano, basil, mint), onions (grown from scraps), green peppers, jalapeno peppers, Cherry tomatoes
Total spent this week on groceries $67.87 While we spent a bit more on groceries this week, we also have apples for making homemade fruit leather, muffin mixes, apple pies, apple crisp and much more throughout the year.
1 bushel of Apples equals:
- 42-48 pounds
- 126 medium apples
- 15~ 9 inch pies
- 30-36 pints frozen
- 16-20 quarts canned
Now, before you read the menu and say wait a minute, they didn't buy any "whatever" this week, we urge you to read ALL of the Helpful articles at the Bottom of the menu that explains our Menu plans and HOW they work!
Breakfast Options for this week: (Fresh Fruit
- Caramelized Pumpkin Sticky Buns
- Greek Yogurt with Blueberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, etc (berries were frozen in season)
- Poached Eggs over Steamed Broccoli
- Apple Walnut Butterhorns
- Eggs- poached, over-easy,hard boiled, scrambled with leftover sauteed veggies & a sprinkle of cheese, etc
- Cinnamon Apple Pecan Refrigerator Oatmeal
Lunch Options for this week: Lunch is over-rated and we usually skip it. We eat dinner early and snack mid-afternoon on the following:
- Leftovers, if desired. (Quinoa, Huli Huli Chicken Wraps, mexi-cali quinoa salad)
- Egg salad sandwiches or wraps
- Cucumber wraps
- PB&J wraps or Peanut butter dill pickle bites
Monday September 1st: Potluck gathering with friends, we're providing:
- Dinner: Drunken Chicken, Potato Salad
Tuesday September 2nd:
- Dinner: Bacon Wrapped Beef Filets, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Salad
Wednesday September 3rd:
- Dinner: Chicken Alfredo Quinoa using leftover chicken from the Drunken Chicken
Thursday September 4th:
- Dinner: Huli Huli Chicken, steamed broccoli, Butternut Squash (previously frozen from our garden)
Friday September 5th:
- Dinner: Mexican Fiesta No Bake Casserole using leftover tortilla chips left behind at the potluck
Saturday September 6th:
Sunday September 7th:
- Dinner: Apple Glazed Roast Pork, Mashed Potatoes, Herbed Carrots, Homemade Applesauce, garden salad
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available- Apples, Apples and more Apples, Home Canned Peaches
- Bacon Jalapeno Cheese Ball
- Homemade Granola Bars
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Yogurt Parfaits
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
Less Likely to be used, but still
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions - There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we've put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions- Why we don't provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren't in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions- more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn't Add up- Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren't listed
- September Sales Trends- not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of September so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month- a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA- Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later - if you gain nothing else from this site, don't overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family