Muffins are a great way to start the day, they’re easy to make, freeze well and can be an inexpensive healthy choice. These yummy Morning Glory Banana Nut Muffins are bursting with the flavors of banana, raisins and walnuts- but here’s the catch, they’re gluten free, have a decent amount of protein to balance the carbs and are only about 100 calories each!
Preheat the oven to 400F
2 1/2 cups Old Fashioned Oats (not quick cooking Or Steel Cut)
1 c. Low-Fat or non-fat GREEK vanilla yogurt
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 c. Pure Cane Sugar or Quality Baking Stevia (or the sweetener equivalent of 1/2 Cup of Sugar)
2 small Very Ripe Bananas
1/4 c. Raisins
3 Tbs Chopped Walnuts
In a blender add half of the oats and pulse on/off until it’s very well blended. Do not just turn on the blender and walk away! Add the remaining oats and process again until the oats are finely blended. Depending on what brand of blender that you’re using, you may want to pour the powdered oats into a mixing bowl. It has come to our attention that some blenders overheat easily. Although we didn’t experience that issue, we surely don’t want you too either!
Be sure that the oats are completely processed and smooth before continuing, or your muffins will taste more like gloppy oatmeal.
Add the yogurt, eggs, bananas, baking powder, baking soda, stevia (or sweetener of your choice), and blend until the oats are smooth and all the ingredients are well mixed into a smooth batter.
Pour the batter into a bowl and gently fold in the raisins and walnuts. Spoon the batter into foil or silicone muffin tin liners. We used quality silicone liners which do not require any grease or spray. This makes 18 medium size or 12 Very Large Muffins
Bake for 16 minutes, until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Do Not Over-bake!
The texture of these muffins is Light, fluffy and Melt in your mouth!
Tips, Tricks and Other Ideas:
- If you want an even lower calorie version, use 3 egg WHITES in place of the 2 eggs
- Do NOT use Quick Oats- they won’t work. Do Not Use Steel Cut Oats, they also do not work.
- If you want to use Regular Sugar we recommend starting with 1/3 c. of Real Sugar, taste the batter- if that works for you, leave it, if you want it a touch sweeter, add up to another 1/2 c. of sugar
Looking for more delicious Guilt-Free Healthy Muffin recipes?
- Blueberry Muffins (gluten free, under 100 calories)
- Cinnamon Mango (gluten free, under 100 calories)
- Strawberry Shortcake Muffins (gluten free, under 100 calories)
Be the first to comment