Like most parents, I am a fan of convenience foods that are quick and easy to prepare. I’m not, however, a fan of convenience food prices, which seem to be anything BUT convenient. I’ve found that while my kids KNOW how to cook, if it requires effort on their part, they aren’t overly keen on making it for breakfast. In their defense, perhaps they aren’t morning people, most teens aren’t. Here is my favorite oatmeal recipe with variations that take less than 3 minutes to prepare each morning.
- 3 C. Quick Cooking Oats
- 8 small baggies
In a blender powder 1 c. of the oatmeal (it’s helpful to blend it 1/2 c. at a time for a finer powder). Into each of the 8 baggies place the following:
- 1/4 c. oats
- 2 Tbs of Powdered Oats
- 1/8 tsp salt
Flavor Variations: To each baggie of oatmeal add the following to achieve the desired flavors:
- Apple Cinnamon: 1 T. sugar, 1/4 tsp Cinnamon, 2 T. Chopped Dried Apples
- Brown Sugar/Cinnamon: 1 T. Brown Sugar & 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Cinnamon Raisin: 1 T. Brown Sugar, 1/4 tsp Cinnamon, 1 T. Raisins
- Confetti: 1 tsp decorative sprinkles
- Cookies-n-Cream: 1 crushed Oreo & 1 T. Creamer
- Exploding: 1 T. Pop Rocks Candy (Great birthday Oatmeal)
- Fruit-n-Cream: 1 T. Creamer, 2 T. Dried Fruit
- Healthy Twist: 2 T. Wheat Germ
- S’More: 5 Mini Marshmallows, 1 T. mini Chocolate Chips
- Sweetened: 1 T. Powdered Sugar
Empty the contents of 1 baggie to a bowl, Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water – for thinner oatmeal, use more water.
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / brozova
We use this often, the kids love it so does my husband. However, we have not tried all the Variations yet because I’m waiting on sales. LOL
Love this! It sounds great! Thanks!
I am going to try this. Thanks!
This is such a great idea. We go through oatmeal like water in our house. Especially in the cold winter, I end up buying 2 boxes of flavored oatmeal per shopping trip. I will use this idea!
I saved this recipe about 9 months ago. I don’t know what took so long to try it but my kids love it. I need to run to the store to grab some more oatmeal. Between this and granola bars, I should buy stock.
This will be a regular this school year in our house.