As you might have noticed from our $50 weekly menus one of our favorite frugal lunches is egg salad. There are a million and one variations so even though it may be on the menu a couple of times each week for lunch, it’s never the same.
Generally speaking, I hard-boil at least a dozen eggs (usually 2 dozen) each week, peel them and leave them in a covered bowl in the fridge. These are great for snacking, adding to salads & for making super fast, dirt cheap egg salad.
I don’t mix up big batches of egg salad ahead of time, I make it as I need it, using those hard boiled eggs we just mentioned. Here’s a very basic egg salad recipe:
3 (hard boiled) Eggs, 2-3 T. Mayo, 1 T. Diced onion (green/vidalia, whatever), dash of seasoning – these are approximate amounts for 2 sandwiches. I rarely measure the ingredients for egg salad.
Chop, dice or mash the eggs to meet the texture that you prefer
- Bacon & Egg Salad– add 1 T. Finely Chopped Cooked Bacon
- Carrot Egg Salad: Omit Onion, add 1 T. Finely Chopped Carrot & 1 T. Sunflower Seeds
- Cheesy Egg Salad– add 1 T. Shredded Cheese, any flavor- swiss is great!
- Creamy Egg Salad– add 1 T. Sour Cream
- Cucumber Egg Salad- omit onion, add 2 T. Finely Chopped Cucumber, dash of Ranch Dressing
- Curried Egg Salad: Add 1/8- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- Deviled Egg Salad– add a dash of hot sauce & 1/2 tsp minced garlic, dash of paprika
- Dijon Egg Salad– add 1 T. Dijon Mustard
- Dilled Egg Salad– omit onion, add 1/2 finely chopped dill pickle or 1 T. Chopped Fresh Dill (herb)
- Ham & Egg Salad- add 2 T. Finely Chopped Ham chunks
- Honey Dijon Egg Salad– Add 1 T. Honey Dijon Mustard
- Hummus Egg Salad- omit mayo, use hummus in its place
- Kicked Up Egg Salad– add 1 T. Finely Chopped Cooked Bacon, 1 tsp Cream Horseradish
- Olive Egg Salad– Omit onion, use 2 T. Finely chopped Green Olives
- Pesto Egg Salad– Omit Onion, add 2 tsp Pesto Sauce
- Southerners Egg Salad– add 1 Tbs. Chopped Pickled Jalapeno Pepper
- Sundried Tomato Egg Salad– add 2 T. Finely chopped sundried tomatoes, omit onion if desired
- Tropical Egg Salad– add 1 T. Crushed Pineapple & 1 T. Finely diced Papaya or mango, 1/8 tsp curry powder
Other Variations– What you serve it on is as important as what’s in it! Here are some ideas:
- Whole Wheat Pita
- Herb Wraps
- Pita Bread
- Steamed Cabbage Leaves
- Hot Dog Buns
- Kaiser Rolls
- Toasted English Muffins
- Hollowed out Tomato or Green Pepper
- Smeared on split cucumber