Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Article: Dirty Little Tricks Retailers Play

~ May the Savings Be Ever in your Favor!~

Curious Lurker
    Another "dirty little trick" I have discovered:
    Our Wal-Mart puts baskets of clearance items at the front of the store sometimes that are actually marked down low enough to qualify for my opinion of "clearance" (in other words not just a 10% savings).
    On several occasions, these items have scanned at full price and the cashier has to manually enter the clearance price. They are not surprised by this at all and tell me they have to do it all the time! How many of us are not watching every single item as it is scanned and miss this?!
    I believe they do this on purpose. Shame on them!

Blog Entries

Re: Article: Dirty Little Tricks Retailers Play

Quote Originally Posted by mamajen View Post
    They are not surprised by this at all and tell me they have to do it all the time! How many of us are not watching every single item as it is scanned and miss this?!
    You know, my other half & I were discussing this the other day- we had 9 items that rung up incorrectly at our local walmart- the cashier changed each one and when I got home we added them up, the difference was $24.35 . You're exactly right, how many people are distracted by their children or spouse or just plain not paying attention & just Pay it. We watch the register like crazy when they're ringing things up. 9 trips out of 10, they have to fix at least 1 item. Do you remember the days that they paid You $3 when they made a mistake? They've ripped off the stickers at the registers that had that guarantee on them.

Sad.

Curious Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by GB101 View Post
    You know, my other half & I were discussing this the other day- we had 9 items that rung up incorrectly at our local walmart- the cashier changed each one and when I got home we added them up, the difference was $24.35 . You're exactly right, how many people are distracted by their children or spouse or just plain not paying attention & just Pay it. We watch the register like crazy when they're ringing things up. 9 trips out of 10, they have to fix at least 1 item. Do you remember the days that they paid You $3 when they made a mistake? They've ripped off the stickers at the registers that had that guarantee on them.

Sad.

Holy cow!! $25 is a lot of money! I figure they are making a KILLING doing this!

No, I don't remember the $3 back thing but that would be nice!
    It really is sad, isn't it?
    People, we need to watch them!
    We need to all band together and call them out on this!
    unreal.

Curious Lurker

My ex-husband used to work for Walmart stocking groceries, and he told me that they would have something like Hamburger Helper (Just using this as an example) 2 for $5 but the regular price for a single box would be $2.38. That's one reason I avoid that store unless it's absolutely necessary.

Curious Lurker
    The same thing happened to me the other day. WalMart had cans of Manwich on an end cap 2 for 2.00. I put two in my cart and headed down the aisle to grab a few other things. I happened to notice that on the shelf, the same size can was $.88. Sure enough, when the cashier rang up the cans, they rang up $1.00. I told the cashier she needed to change it to the .88 and she did but if I hadn't been paying attention, I would have spent 24 cents more. Every little bit helps.

Curious Lurker

I actually work at Wal Mart in the apparel and we do this all the time because we no longer receive the amount of markdowns from home office that we use to. So instead of the big wigs up top marking things down that we no longer carry or are out of season they leave them for months and months. We push them up front for price overriding so that we can get out our new products and keep our departments cleaned up. We do this at our own risk also, when we do this it shows up on all kinds of reports and we can actually get "coached" which is a form of disciplinary action or even fired for extreme markdowns. I will admit we do this for our own benefit, as associates trying to make their lives at work a little less stressful, not really for the customer to save money although they do. We use to put signs on the carts to let customers know that cashiers would have to override the price but we are no longer allowed to do that. If we could mark it down in the system we would... we miss this actually. I find that in the six years that I have been with the company stores are allowed less and less markdowns and less and less hours for associates to work. There are days that I want to scream and cry because I get so fed up with the pressure. I just wish that customers would remember that we are people too and that we are doing our best with what we are given.

Curious Lurker
    I guess the reason for not putting the price of the food on the item, is so people can't tell the difference if they are being charged more for an item. Who can remember what the price is on every item, I DON'T. UGH!!

Starter Saver
    good to know about Wal-Mart... I'll be paying closer attention now. can't say I'm surprised though.

Curious Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mamajen View Post
    Our Wal-Mart puts baskets of clearance items at the front of the store sometimes that are actually marked down low enough to qualify for my opinion of "clearance" (in other words not just a 10% savings).
    On several occasions, these items have scanned at full price and the cashier has to manually enter the clearance price. They are not surprised by this at all and tell me they have to do it all the time! How many of us are not watching every single item as it is scanned and miss this?!
    You should check to see if your state has a scanner rebate law. In MI if an item is scanned at the wrong price you can take the receipt to the customer service center and recieve 10% (with a $1 minimum) or $5 (maximum) of the difference as a "rebate".