Lemon Chiffon Cake

Lemon Chiffon Cake
Lemon Chiffon Cake

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

4 (80%) 32 votes

lemon-chiffon-cake
A light, lemony chiffon cake made with whipped egg whites and fresh lemon zest.

* 2 cups flour
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup water
* 7 egg yolks
* 1/2 cup vegetable oil
* Grated zest of 2 lemons
* 2 teaspoons vanilla
* 8 egg whites
* 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

Preheat the oven to 325°. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center; add the water, egg yolks, oil, lemon zest and vanilla. Whisk the dry ingredients into the yolk mixture until the batter is blended and smooth. Set aside. (Do NOT make the mistake of using dried lemon peel in place of FRESH lemon Zest, you will regret it!)

In a large mixer bowl, beat the egg whites and the cream of tartar at medium-low speed until foamy. Gradually increase the speed to high and beat the whites until stiff (but not dry) peaks form.

Gently fold 1/3 of the batter into the whites, turn the bowl 1/4 turn, add another 1/3 of the batter, turn the bowl 1/4 turn, Fold in the remaining batter just until combined.

Spoon the batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. lemon-chiffon-cake

Bake 1 hour, or until the top springs back when lightly touched with a fingertip, Immediately invert the cake, still in the pan, onto the neck of a wine bottle or a large funnel. Cool completely (about 2 hours)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the Following ingredients until smooth:

* 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
* 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons melted butter
* 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Remove the cake pan from the bottle. Run a long thin knife around both edges of the cake pan. Invert the cake onto a serving plate and remove the pan. Spread the icing on top of the cake, allowing some of the glaze to drip down the sides.

THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

About GB101 719 Articles
Filled with an insatiable wanderlust to see the world, I've dedicated most of my life to saving money where I can so I can afford to see and do the things I want. I dug our family out of debt by reducing our grocery expense to less than $300 a month. You can too!

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.