2018 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week 5 Last week was absolutely crazy for us, working weird hours and helping neighbors with frozen pipes from a nasty little cold spell. Not only did we fail to get a menu posted, we also never got around to going grocery shopping at all, so we had a “Pantry Challenge” week.
If you’re not familiar with that, it means that ALL of your meals come from what you have on hand in the pantry and freezer. It’s a great way to use leftover or pre-planned OAMC meals and cut down on potential waste too.
We often purchase bacon in 10 or 20# boxes at a time, then cook it and refreeze the cooked pieces. About half of it we chop fine for use in recipes (it’s amazing what a tablespoon or two of bacon bits will do to an otherwise boring recipe!). So when you see bacon appear frequently in recipes, it’s often just a tablespoon or two that we’ve cooked, chopped and frozen.
This week we purchased the following: Cantaloupe, Strawberries, Grapes, lemon yogurt, honeydew melon, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, apples, fresh beets, scallions, celery, lettuce, carrots, bell peppers, Pineapple, Avocados, Whole Chicken, cauliflower, onions, cheese, spinach, half & half, loaf wheat bread
Total spent this week on groceries: $51.89
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs
From our Windowsill/ Garden: a few fresh herbs in the windowsill– cilantro, basil, parsley and rosemary
Breakfast Options for this week:
- Fruit & Yogurt Parfaits
- Eggs-poached, over-easy, hard boiled, scrambled with leftover sauteed veggies & a sprinkle of cheese, etc
Monday February 5th:
- Lunch: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Dinner: Grilled (boneless) Pork Ribs, Fresh Beet Greens (steamed)
Tuesday February 6th:
Wednesday February 7th:
- Lunch: Shredded Pork Wrap (Using leftover pork from Monday Night’s dinner & tortillas from the freezer)
- Dinner: Stuffed Grilled Portabellas , BLT Macaroni Salad
Thursday February 8th:
- Lunch: Stuffed Avocadoes
- Dinner: Bang Bang Shrimp Salad (recipe added shortly!)
Friday February 9th:
- Lunch: Tuna or Egg Salad Wraps
- Dinner: Venison Tenderloin, Hasselback Au Gratin Potatoes, apple beet salad
Saturday February 10th: All Day (Potluck) Event with Friends, we’re bringing Sweet Potato Salad with us
Sunday February 11th:
- Brunch: Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
- Supper: Beer Can Chicken, grilled potatoes, Salad, Steamed Beets
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Pineapple, Strawberries, Apples
- Strawberry melon Salad
- Deviled Egg Dip & Veggies
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
FYI: If you’re wondering why all the ingredients listed in the recipes aren’t necessarily showing in the “purchased groceries” list, please check out our Frequently Asked Questions!