2014 $50 Budget Menu Plan Week #18: This week we found some great unexpected deals on meat, such as lamb for $5.99 a pound, beef filet marked down to $3.49- which is very cheap for our area given the severe drought that took place last year causing beef prices to skyrocket. This week we purchased the following…
Lamb Roast, Beef Filets, grape tomatoes, avocado, sweet peppers (orange,yellow,red), mango, mushrooms, prosciutto, zucchini, bell peppers, cucumber, bananas, granny smith apples, cream cheese
We took full advantage of this weeks “Loss Leaders” at Aldi. Loss leaders are super low ad prices geared to get you Into the store, with the idea that you’ll spend oodles more while shopping. If you’re a Smart shopper, you’ll check out the sales flyers of your favorite stores and know which loss leaders to scoop up before you even leave the house.
From our Backyard: Fresh Eggs (Getting nearly 3 dozen per day)
From our Windowsill/ Garden: Lettuce, Chives, Scallions, Fresh Herbs (Parsley, Rosemary, dill, oregano, basil), Spinach, beet greens, baby carrots
Total spent this week on groceries $ 47.65
Breakfast Options for this week: (Fresh Fruit Choices, Apples, Bananas)
- Poached Eggs on Toast
- Raspberry Vanilla Cream Oatmeal
- Bagels & Cream Cheese
- Mango Almond Refrigerator Oatmeal
- Granny Smith Apples & Cinnamon Apple Cherry Cheeseball
- English Muffins
Monday April 28th:
- Lunch: Leftover Homemade Mac-n-cheese with Ham/Broccoli
- Dinner: 10 Minute Italian Chicken Noodle Soup, Cornbread Muffins or Italian Garlic Bread(depends on if I feel like making bread!)
Tuesday April 29th:
- Lunch: Leftover Italian Soup
- Dinner: Tomato & Basil Stuffed Grilled Chicken Breasts, Zucchini Parmesan Crisps
Wednesday April 30th:
- Lunch: Fresh Garden Salad with Chunks of Leftover Tomato/basil chicken on top
- Dinner: Mexican Fiesta No Bake Casserole
Thursday May 1st:
- Lunch: Leftover Mexican Fiesta Casserole
- Dinner: Meatloaf,Garlic Smashed Potatoes, Salad
Friday May 2nd:
- Lunch: Meatloaf Sandwiches
- Dinner: Beef Wellington, Fresh Herb Roasted Red Potatoes, Salad
Saturday May 3rd:
- Midday: Grilled Fish with Avocado Mango Salsa, salad
Sunday May 4th: The kids will be munching on various leftovers from the week until dinnertime
- Midday:Roast Lamb with Homemade Mint Jelly, spinach colcannon, baby carrots & salad
Various Snacks & Desserts:
- Fresh Fruit Choices Available– Apples, Bananas, Fresh Pineapple
- Deviled Egg Dip & Veggies
- Vanilla Pudding Chocolate Chip Cookies
Drinks Available:* Iced Tea (Unsweetened or Sweet Tea)
* Hot Chocolate/Cocoa
Less Likely to be used, but still available:
* Copycat Gatorade
* CopyCat Arizona Green Tea
* Iced Coffee Drinks
* Almond Milk
FYI: The spinach colcannon mentioned in this weeks menu is using spinach we’re growing in our garden! It’s basically mashed potatoes with steamed spinach greens and a few bits of minced garlic.
For Further reading/help we recommend the following:
- $50 Dollar Menu Frequently Asked Questions– There are certain questions that seem to pop up again and again, so rather than be redundant and repeat answers, we’ve put them all in one convenient place for you!
- Basic Questions–Why we don’t provide a shopping list, Random ingredients that aren’t in the shopping list, are groceries cheaper , etc
- More Questions– more in depth questions regarding dietary guidelines, dealing with picky eaters, junk food and more
- It Doesn’t Add up– Learn why some items in the Menu plan aren’t listed in this weeks grocery purchase list & how it all comes together
- May Sales Trends–not sure what Should be on sale right now? Here is a list of the current Sales trends throughout the month of May so you know what savings to expect and look forward to.
- The 2012 Family Guide to Groceries under $250 a Month– a guide of how and where to cut grocery expenses to get spending under control while providing an eye-opening view of the dirty manipulation tactics retailers use to keep you spending.
- $50 Weekly Menu Plan Help across the USA–Do you find yourself struggling to reduce your grocery bill each month? Check out our Menu plan help across the USA to see if your area has been featured for more 1-on-1 help, if not, feel free to add your request to have your city/state featured.
- Making Fruits & Veggies Last: At the beginning of each week we prepare the vegetables and fruits to make meal preparation easier during the week and to save money by preventing waste. You can read more about that here.
- How Spending $25 Now can save you Hundreds Later – if you gain nothing else from this site, don’t overlook this tip. It has been an EXTREME money-saver for our family
© Can Stock Photo Inc. / monkeybusiness
Be the first to comment